This is a world-system under construction and is currently being input-programmed into the Traveller RPG Wiki.
|Tarkan/Ras Tennol (Far Home 2317)|
|Classic Era (1115)|| |
|Primary||M0 V D|
Tarkan is an icy, non-agricultural and nonindustrial vacuum world, whose surface is ice-capped and with nearly all of its water frozen and warranting hazardous environment precautions.
- It is unable to produce quality foodstuffs and must import them.
- It requires extensive imports of outside technology to maintain a modern, star-faring society.
- This is a frozen world, with a climate of extremely low temperatures.
- It is a Non-Aligned world dominated by human sophonts located in the Ras Tennol Subsector of Far Home Sector.
- 1 Description / Astrography & Planetology
- 2 History & Background / Dossier
- 3 References & Contributors / Sources
Description / Astrography & Planetology
This star system is detailed using the Fringian Variant System Description.
- This world lies on the Outland Run Star Lane.
- This world lies on the Void Edge Star Lane.
- The supergiant primary star of the Demon's Eye system and the huge Demon's Eye Nebula that surrounds it, lying around 8 parsecs to spinward-rimward, are clearly visible in the sky.
Binary Solar System
Tarkan Binary Star System Star Name Hierarchy Color Classification Remarks Tarkan Primary Primary Red M0 V Tarkan Companion Secondary White Dwarf D 45.3 AU from primary
The primary is Mettin, an ordinary red main sequence star. It has a luminosity of 0.04 Sols, a mass of 0.489 Sols, and a diameter of 764,000 km. (I-I) a corrosive atmosphere inferno world, and (I-II) Garavan, a ringed small gas giant: Tarkan is its only major moon and is designated the mainworld – have a shared orbit within the habitable zone. (II-I) a large gas giant; (II-II) an exotic atmosphere bigworld with an elliptical orbit, (III) a ringed small ice giant with an elliptical orbit, (IV) a trace atmosphere iceworld with a very elliptical orbit, and (V) a sparse icy planetoid belt form the inner part of the outer system. Orbital positions (VI) through (IX) are unavailable due to the presence of the companion star and orbital position (X) is empty. (XI) a very large gas giant orbits the systems barycenter, forming the outer part of the outer system. Many of the worlds retain satellites.
The companion is Faldan, a dwarf star that lies at a mean distance of 45.3 AU (orbital position (X), 6.77 billion km) from Mettin. It has a luminosity of 0.00003 Sols, a mass of 1.11 Sols, and a diameter of 8,450 km. (I) a sparse icy planetoid belt, and (II) an exotic atmosphere bigworld form the outer system. The bigworld retains a satellite.
- The two stars orbit a barycenter lying approximately 30.4 AU (just within orbital position (X), 4.55 billion km) from Mettin and have an orbital period around one another of 132 years 202 days.
(I-II) Garavan is a ringed small gas giant that orbits Mettin at a mean distance of 0.24 AU (35.9 million km), within the habitable zone, and has an orbital period of 61 days 10 hours. It has a diameter of 31,400 km and is a deep blue colour with broad grey-white bands of cloud. It retains one major satellite, (I-IIa) Tarkan, designated the mainworld. Garavan has a broad, reflective ring system extending to around 3 diameters (95,000 km) and with an average thickness of around 200 km. The rings are largely composed of irregular icy bodies of less than a meter in diameter.
(I-IIa) Tarkan is the only major moon of (I-II) Garavan and is designated the mainworld. It orbits its parent world at a mean distance of 5 diameters (158,000 km), with an orbital period of 9 days 22 hours: it is tidally locked to Garavan. The axial tilt is 9 degrees relative to Garavan. Tarkan has a diameter of 3,422 km, a density of 6.35 g/cm³ and a surface gravity of 0.31 G. Tidal stresses generated by the gravitational pull of Garavan cause constant geological activity. The atmosphere is rated as Vacuum. Around 6% of the surface is covered in sheets of water-ice. Mean surface temperature: -55°C.
Mainworld Geography and Topography
Total surface area: 368 million km², Land surface area: 346 million km², Water surface area: 22 million km². Tarkan is heavily cratered.
History & Background / Dossier
The Tarkan system is a relative backwater elevated to a position of importance by its position on both the Outland Run and Void Edge Star Lanes. Tarkan's government seeks to rival Ras Tennol as a major commercial hub, though it is a long way from achieving this goal.
Tarkan has a good quality starport.
- A Class B Starport Facility has not very well developed shipyards and is only capable of producing spaceships.
- This facility has many very skilled personnel who can perform not only major repair work, but overhaul work as well.
- This facility has advanced refueling and refining infrastructure. One may purchase practically any kind of refined fuel here.
- Almost every starport of this class possesses both a Lowport and a Highport. Such ports rarely have more than one of each kind of port.
The government of Tarkan is actively engaged in upgrading the port facilities, with the aim of creating a grade A port facility by 5625AD.
World Technology Level
- Common Communication technologies for this TL include: Fiber optics, improved telephones, and satellite communication and data networks.
- Common Power Generation technologies for this TL include: Improved geothermal and improved batteries.
- Common Transportation technologies for this TL include:
Tarkan has a network of maglev tracks leading to newly constructed (and currently empty) communities.
- It is a government by a restricted minority, with little or no input from the masses.
- The typical power source of this government is an Oligarchy.
- The typical power structure of this government is a Hegemony.
- Tarkan is ruled by the "Five Eternals", powerful families controlling different areas of the worlds economy. Chief among these are the producers of oxygen and food, those who control trade and commerce, and those responsible for infrastructure. Each Eternal is effectively a commercial organisation.
Tarkan has no intrinsic military forces. Security and policing duties are carried out by private organisations paid for by the Eternals.
Tarkan makes considerable profits from trade passing along the various Star Lanes that pass through the system. Much of the profit is invested in improvements to the port facilities and the infrastructure of the city of Cannart.
No information yet available.
Approximately 2 million (97.0% of the population) humans of Terran descent.
- 60,000 (3.0% of the population) other sophonts, largely Hoppers, though with small communities of Edur and Temelik.
Tarkan has a competetive culture. It measures itself in particular against Ras Tennol and seeks to outdo that world in all things.
Almost the entire population live in Cannart, a subsurface city located on a broad vacuum plain close to the equator. Cannart is served by the downport and is the hub of a maglev transport network. The maglev lines run to fully constructed but currently uninhabited minor cities, built as part of the Eternals' effort to upgrade the world, its importance and its infrastructure.
- (2255 AD): Humans settle the Distant Fringe region.
No information yet available.
No information yet available.
References & Contributors / Sources
|This article is missing content for one or more detailed sections. Additional details are required to complete the article. You can help the Traveller Wiki by expanding it.|