|Speed||0.0 kph (Sessile)|
|Social Structure||Large groups (groves)|
|Homeworld||Medurma (Dagudashaag 2124)|
Physiology and ecology
Strangely, many aspects of the Symmonds Tree's biochemistry still defy analysis, and it has yet to be placed satisfactorily in the Medurman evolutionary scheme.
Life Cycle and reproduction
The Symmonds tree reproduces by rhizomes, underground stems growing outward from the base of the plant. These appear different from the hyphae, used for feeding of the plant.
Diet and trophics
The plant appears to be chemosynthetic, and is a symbiont with an underground network of hyphae or nutrient-carrying tubes, which can extend for many kilometers.
History and background
The Symmonds Tree has proved to be a rich source of precursor chemicals for certain pharmaceuticals, including fibrillates, nerve growth factors, and other key ingredients for Anagathics. It can be processed into Symal, a soya-like protein.
Pharmaceutical Company Interest
- Symmonds Xenoculture - founded in 318, it is perhaps the oldest company interested in the Symmonds Tree.
- DeepLevel Harvesting - formed in 862 to break Symmonds Xenoculture's monopoly on the Symmonds Tree harvesting.
- Nei'Tan Corporation - a biomedical co-operative run by the Snow Leopard tribe of Alikasch on Medurma (Dagudashaag 2124).
- Pharmacologique Fabrique - has taken a recent interest in the Symmonds Tree and its potential.
- SuSAG - the Imperial megacorporation specializing in pharmaceuticals has also taken a recent interest in the Symmonds Tree and its potential.
Travellers' Aid Society Advisory
References and contributors
- Jae Campbell. "Port of Call: Medurma." Signal-GK 02 (1989): 47,49. via. HIWG
- Jae Campbell. Encyclopaedia Dagudashaag (Signal-GK, 2017), 335.
- Author & Contributor: Lord (Marquis) and Master of Sophontology Maksim-Smelchak of the Ministry of Science