Sudi Verisia (world)
This is a world-system under construction and is currently being input-programmed into the Traveller RPG Wiki.
|Sudi Verisia/Aredian (Far Home 3022)|
|Classic Era (1115)|| |
Sudi Verisia is a rich garden world.
- Garden worlds are known for their near-ideal utopian environments conducive to most sophonts, plants, animals, and other forms of life.
- This is a rich world with a prosperous and thriving world economy.
- Its economy and population are rapidly growing and living conditions are expected to quickly rise barring outside forces.
- This a "high technology" world with technology achievements at, near, or over technology standards for Charted Space.
- This is a temperate world, with a climate of pleasant, average temperatures, considered to be an ideal or near-ideal environment by many different sophont species.
- It is a Non-Aligned world dominated by human sophonts located in the Aredian Subsector of Far Home Sector.
- This world-system hosts a Military Base, usually associated with military ground forces, which may be located on or off-world.
- This world is the site of a Beanstalk
- 1 Description (Astrography & Planetology)
- 2 History & Background (Dossier)
- 2.1 Beanstalk
- 2.2 World starport
- 2.3 World technology level
- 2.4 World government
- 2.5 World economy
- 2.6 World demographics
- 2.7 World culture
- 2.8 Historical data
- 3 References & Contributors / Sources
Description (Astrography & Planetology)
This star system is detailed using the Fringian Variant System Description.
Sudi Verisia Monostellar System Star Name Hierarchy Color Classification Remarks Sudi Verisia Primary Yellow-White F6 V None
Apilis-Sudi Verisia System
The primary is Apilis, an ordinary white main sequence star. It has a luminosity of 3.042 Sols, a mass of 1.092 Sols and a diameter of 1.536 million km. The inner system consists of (I) a vacuum worldlet, (III) a trace atmosphere inner world, and (IV) a very thin atmosphere hospitable world – orbital position (II) is empty. (V) Sudi Verisia orbits within the habitable zone and is designated the mainworld. (VI) a large gas giant, (VII) an exotic atmosphere radworld, (VIII) a small gas giant, and (IX) a small ice giant form the outer system. Most of the worlds retain satellites.
(V) Sudi Verisia
(V) Sudi Verisia is designated the mainworld. It orbits Apilis at a mean distance of 1.60 AU (239.3 million km), within the habitable zone. It has an orbital period of 1 year 297 days and a rotation period of 27.5 hours. The axial tilt is 20 degrees. Sudi Verisia has a diameter of 11,370 km, a density of 5.38 g/cm³, and a surface gravity of 0.87 G. The world is geologically active. Its atmosphere is rated as Standard, with a mean surface pressure of 1.05 bar and a composition of 77% nitrogen (N2), 22% oxygen (O2), and 1% argon (Ar), water vapor (H2O), carbon dioxide (CO2), ozone (O3), neon (Ne) and other trace gases. Approximately 62% of the surface is covered in oceans of liquid water: average tidal ranges exceed 0.5m. Mean surface temperature: 16°C. The climate is rated as Temperate-Prime and experiences minor seasonal changes during the local year. The atmosphere is dynamic and powerful weather systems, driven by the star and the oceans, sweep across the globe.
Sudi Verisia retains a single natural satellite, an exotic atmosphere stormworld named Reidan. An artifical satellite named Anchor has been placed in close orbit around the world in order to serve as the top tether of the world's beanstalk:
- (Va) Anchor (UWP AS00667-C, geosynchronous orbit at 0.04 Diameters/450 km)
- An artificially placed, roughly spherical planetoid with a diameter of 10 km.
- (Vb) Reidan (UWP F5A2535-B, orbiting at 25 Diameters/284,000 km).
Mainworld Geography and Topography
Total surface area: 406 million km², Water surface area: 253 million km², Land surface area: 153 million km². Two smaller tropical continents (named Adena and Gannan) lie on the equator and two larger continents (named Peck and Freeland), dominate the northern and southern temperate latitudes respectively. There are a number of subcontinental landmasses, large islands, and chains of archipelagos. The main bodies of water are the Pelago Grosso, the Ocense Nord and the Ocense Sud. Small icecaps are located at both poles. The world is geologically active: many regions have volcanic zones and seismic events such as earthquakes are relatively common.
Apilis-Sudi Verisia System
The hot marginally hospitable world lying in orbital position (IV) (within the H– region of the inner system) has primitive extremophile native life, consisting entirely of microscopic cyanobacteria-parallels that thrive in the harsh conditions.
Sudi Verisia, the mainworld, is a garden world. It has extensive, abundant native life, with complex organisms inhabiting every ecological niche. The local flora has a tendency towards broad tall stems and flat leaves: foliage is generally dark green in color. Their metabolic functions power the process of atmospheric renewal. The majority of local fauna follows the body pattern Bilateral HS-TB-AL-LN-T, with cartilage interiors, blood fluids, and skin exteriors. Most local lifeforms can be digested by humans with few problems, though care must be taken as some species contain toxins.
History & Background (Dossier)
The Sudi Verisia beanstalk is located on the equator of the world, on the continent of Adena. The continent is one of the most geologically stable regions on the surface.
- Exclusion Zone (perimeter at 18 km radius, exclusion zone area approximately 1000 km²).
- The zone, despite its name, contains warehousing, holding areas, private and corporate facilities, and both passenger and commercial transport hubs. Much of it is managed wilderness. Hunters are employed to control the fauna within the its boundaries.
- Base (up to 5 km deep). Buried within the lithosphere.
- Tower (0 m to 2200 m). Within the troposphere.
- This is a large publicly accessible facility. It tapers gracefully to a hub were it joins the Spine. It contains, among other things, commercial premises, luxury apartments, and entertainment complexes. Security within the Tower is extremely tight.
- Spine (2.2 km to 43 km). Within the troposphere / stratosphere.
- The thicker lower strand of the Beanstalk.
- Halfway Station (43 km). Within the stratosphere.
- This is a large publicly accessible facility. It contains, among other things, a large hanger deck, commercial premises, luxury apartments, and entertainment complexes. It contains a shunting and maintenance bay for elevator carriages, allowing their ascent / descent order to be changed. Security within Halfway Station is extremely tight. Despite its name it is located less than a tenth of the way up the beanstalk.
- String (43 km to 450 km). Within the stratosphere / mesosphere / thermosphere / exosphere.
- The thinner upper strand of the Beanstalk.
- (Va) Anchor (450 km). Within the exosphere.
- The beanstalk is tethered to a small planetoid named Anchor, located in a geosynchronous orbit above the equatorial continent of Adena. Anchor is the site of the primary orbital port facilities and is a major military facility. Around 11.5 km³ of tunneled and reinforced chambers and corridors exist within Anchor, though around 90% of this prepared area is sealed off and in vacuum conditions, being held in anticipation of later expansion.
- Anchor is home to a population of approximately 2.5 million, governed directly by the authorities on Sudi Verisia.
Multiple elevator cars travel up and down the beanstalk.
- Passenger cars are relatively small but are well appointed.
- Freight cars are far larger and contain a small passenger / crew cabin.
Surface to Anchor takes approximately 80 minutes.
Sudi Verisia has an excellent quality starport.
- A Class-A Starport Facility has very well developed shipyards and is capable of producing first rate starships.
- This facility has many very skilled personnel who can perform not only major repair work, but overhaul work as well.
- This facility has advanced refueling and refining infrastructure. One may purchase practically any kind of refined fuel here.
- Almost every starport of this class possesses both a Lowport and a Highport. Sometimes multiple ports of each type.
- Status: peace footing (government modifier x0.95).
- Construction Restrictions:
- Maximum TL: TL 12
- Maximum Jump: Jump-2
- Maximum Hull Size: 760,000 dTons
- Naval Capacity: 760,000 dTons
- Mercantile Capacity: 3,800,000 dTons
Sudi Verisia has four major starport facilities:
- Orbital Main: the systems major commercial port facilities.
- Downport: The surface port facilities, located close to the capital city.
- Beanstalk: The primary passenger terminal.
- Buildport: A conglomeration of orbital construction and maintenance yards.
World technology level
- Common Communication technologies for this TL include: Holovision, Personal Global Communications, and advanced Translators.
- Common Power Generation technologies for this TL include: Increasingly advanced fusion plants and advanced fuel cells.
- Common Transportation technologies for this TL include:
- FTL Notes: The limitations on DeVoss Drives – the so called Jump-2 Barrier – restricts jump drive performance to Jump-1 or jump-2 only.
Sudi Verisia has a Feudal Technocracy government.
- It is a government by specific individuals for those who agree to be ruled. Relationships are based on the performance of technical activities which are mutually-beneficial.
- The typical power source of this government is an Oligarchy.
- The typical power structure of this government is a Hegemony.
The world's government is the Rostrum. It meets in the Assembly of Consideration, a complex of modern buildings located within a large parkland estate a few tens of kilometers beyond the northern suburbs of Tomos, the capital city.
The Council of Advancement is the executive branch of the Rostrum. It is responsible for ensuring that the laws of Sudi Verisia are obeyed.
The Verisi - the name of both the group and of its members - is the legislative branch of the Rostrum. It is a 74-member unicameral house vested in the Assembly of Consideration. Verisi are drawn from among experts and academics and each heads a government bureau. Legislation is debated and drafted by the Verisi, which is then sent to the Council of Advancement for approval.
The government of Sudi Verisia is divided into bureaus, each headed by a Verisi and responsible for an aspect of social, economic or political life on the world. Some of the most important include the Bureau of Foreign Affairs, the Bureau of Defense, the Bureau of the Interior, the Bureau of Justice, the Department of Commerce, the Bureau of Industry, the Bureau of Agriculture, and the Office of Culture.
The judicial branch is represented by the Assizes, a 24-member body divided into three supreme sectors:
- Civil Sector: Presides over all topics related to civil rights and commercial law.
- Criminal Sector: Presides over all topics relating to criminal law.
- Constitutional and Social Sector: Presides over all topics relating to constitutional rights and labor law.
Judges are chosen from among legal experts and appointed by the Assembly of Consideration. The role is for life.
Sudi Bureau of Militia
The Sudi Bureau of Militia (the SBM, or more commonly the Militia) are the police force of Sudi Verisia, charged with the prevention and detection of crime and the maintenance of public order. The SBM includes a Psi Branch.
- SBM Officers wear a uniform and body armor, have reliable commo and data links, they are armed, and they are equipped with performance vehicles.
The Sudi Verisian Navy helps with security.
- Resources: B (Abundant)
- Labor: 7 (Tens of millions)
- Infrastructure: 9 (Extensive)
- Efficiency: +5 (Very advanced)
Sudi Verisia is a developing commercial hub and a cosmopolitan, cultured center. It is self-sufficient in all of its basic needs but is a net importer of rare metals and minerals, which are in great demand from its developing industrial concerns. It is a major manufacturer of starships.
A number of important companies have their headquarters at Sudi Verisia:
- Fringe Produce
- Rio Argo
- Sudi Small Arms Inc
Population: approximately 796,000,000 Sophonts
- Humaniti (Human races)
- Native Non-Human Races:
Tomos is the capital city of Sudi Verisia. It lies within the Horns of Tomo, a huge flooded volcanic crater on the south-eastern coast of Peck, and is a major seaport. It has a population of almost 50 million and is noted for its exceptionally tall, slender downtown buildings.
Peck, the world's major northern continent, is relatively heavily populated, with many large cities and towns and extensive road and mass transit systems. Although primarily agricultural, many of its regions are heavily industrialised and it is the location of the main downport facilities. Freeland, the major southern continent, is far more lightly settled and contains huge ranches. The small equatorial continent of Adena is lush with dense jungles and rainforests and is the site of the Beanstalk. Gannon, with a multitude of sun-kissed islands, lies in the northern tropics and is considered the most desirable real estate on the world.
- Homogeneity: 5 (Harmonious)
- Acceptance: B (Extremely friendly)
- Strangeness: 5
- Symbols: D
Sudi Verisia was first surveyed around 2300AD but remained barren during the Second Confederation. The first recorded settlement was around 3400AD, by refugees fleeing the civil wars: the temperate, pleasant garden world was a popular destination for those who were seeking a better life.
The port facilities and infrastructure were upgraded to handle the increasing amount of traffic within the system and by the beginning of the 38th century the world was thriving.
Sudi Verisia was devastated by the Voyagers and the TL dropped radically during the Dark Age. The population increased during this time, but the government fragmented into rival nation-states. Sudi Verisia was recontacted during Scavenger Season. Although it took centuries, the various factions settled their differences and by the 52nd century the world was reunited under a single world government.
Initial settlement (ca 3450AD): C766587-9 Ag Ga Ni
Dark Age survival (ca 4500AD): X766673-3 Ag Ga Lt Ni
Recontacted world (ca 4850AD): C766774-7 Ag Ga Ni
Advancing world (ca 5100AD): B766794-9 Ag Ga Ri
Beanstalk completed (5375AD): A766754-B Ag Ga Ri
References & Contributors / Sources
|This article is missing content for one or more detailed sections. Additional details are required to complete the article. You can help the Traveller Wiki by expanding it.|
- Author & Contributor: Lord (Marquis) and Master Scout Emeritus Adie Alegoric Stewart of the IISS
- Author & Contributor: Lord (Marquis), Captain, and Lead Naval Architect Ronald B. Kline, Jr. of the Imperial Navy
- Author & Contributor: Lord (Marquis) and Master of Sophontology Maksim-Smelchak of the Ministry of Science