|Generic Snub Pistol|
Generic Snub Pistol
|Group: Ranged Weapon|
|Ammo||9mm bullet, x15 rounds|
|Generic Snub Pistol|
"Snub Pistol:" The snub pistol is a low velocity revolver designed for use on shipboard and in a Zero-G environment. It fires 10mm, 7.0 gram bullets at velocities of 100 to 150 meters per second. No magazine is used, six individual cartridges being inserted into the revolver separately. Reloading takes less than a minute, and around a minute if the firer is evading. Standard rounds include a tranquilizer round, gas round, high explosive round, and a high explosive shaped charge round to defeat personal armor. The snub pistol is a standard shipboard security weapon generally loaded with five tranquilizers and one gas round. More expensive pure combat versions of the snub pistol are available, generally in the automatic pistol configuration with extended magazines holding up to twenty rounds. 
Length: 100.0 mm. Weight, unloaded: 250.0 grams (weight of six cartridges, regardless of type, is 30.0 grams). Base price for revolver: Cr150 (six cartridges, regardless of type, cost Cr10). Combat version costs Cr150. Loaded 20 round magazines weigh 125.0 grams and cost Cr40. Tech level 8. 
As sophonts venture out of their gravity well into space, generally by the TL:7-9 epoch, they discover that conventional KEW weaponry does not function well in a vacuum environment. Lubricants tend to freeze and lose function, atmospheric air is often needed for mechanical moving parts, and many other problems are encountered. 
Several solutions to Zero-G combat include:
- One of the most obvious solutions is to create energy weaponry, but such weapons are often prohibitively expensive both to manufacture, to maintain, and to maintain energy infrastructure to recharge them.
- Gauss Weaponry, also known as Mass Driver Weapons are another solution, but also involve expense and technological sophistication problems beyond many sophont civilizations.
- Self-propelled rounds, often known as gyrojets or rocket guns are one of the simplest and most durable solutions and the Accelerator Rifle is a prime example of this technology.
- Snub Pistols are another solution. 
Selected Snub Pistol Models
- Frank Chadwick. Mercenary (Game Designers Workshop, 1978), 37.
- Gary L. Thomas, Joe Fugate. The Travellers' Digest 17 (Digest Group Publications, 1989), 48-49.
- Marc Miller. Imperial Encyclopedia (Game Designers Workshop, 1987), TBD.
- Dave Nilsen. Reformation Coalition Equipment Guide (Game Designers Workshop, 1994), TBD.
- Traveller Wiki Editorial Team
- Author & Contributor: Lord (Marquis) and Master of Sophontology Maksim-Smelchak of the Ministry of Science