Kinetic Energy Weapon
A Kinetic Energy Weapons (KEW) is a weapon which uses kinetic energy as its primary agent of damage with little to no guidance.
- Kinetic energy weapons are commonly known as slugthrowers although a vast variety of weapons using projectile munitions are available.
- They are also known as Ballistic Weapons or projectile throwers.
- Ordnance or munitions for these weapons may employ high explosives, flechettes, or other agents of damage in addition to kinetic force.
- 1 Library Data Referral Tree
- 2 Description (Specifications)
- 3 History & Background (Dossier)
- 4 References & Contributors (Sources)
Library Data Referral Tree
- Interstellar War
- Military Technologies
KEW weapons fall into several basic categories:
- Archaic Projectile Weaponry
- Electromagnetic Weaponry
- Explosive Weaponry
- Gyrojet Weaponry
- Projectile Weaponry
- Conventional Projectile Weaponry
- Unconventional Projectile Weaponry
Archaic Projectile Weaponry
- Archaic Pistols
- Black Powder Revolver
- Duckfoot Pistol
- Archaic Rifles
- Archaic Heavy Weapons
- Archaic Specialty Weapons
Gauss Weaponry (Electromagnetic Weaponry)
- Gauss Pistols
- Gauss Rifles
- Gauss Heavy Weapons
- Gauss Specialty Weapons
Explosive Weaponry & Grenades
Gyrojet & Rocket Weaponry
Most Gyrojet and Rocket weaponry use a chemical rocket to propel a munition downrange, generally inflicting damage through kinetic or high explosive damage types.
Gyrojet & Rocket Weapon Types:
- Gyrojet Weaponry
- Rocket Weaponry
Conventional Projectile Weapons
Conventional weapons work by propelling a projectile, usually called a bullet, out of a barrel inflicting damage through kinetic energy.
Conventional Weapon Types:
- Conventional Pistols
- Conventional Rifles
- Conventional Heavy Weaponry
- 13mm Double Barrel Big Game Rifle
- 14.5mm Crunch Gun
- 7mm Rotary Gun
- 8mm Assault Cannon
- Belt-Fed Automatic Rifle
- Grenade Launcher
- GSR-12 class Sniper Rifle
- Heavy Machine Gun (HMG)
- Light Assault Gun (LAG)
- Light Machine Gun (LMG)
- Medium Machine Gun (MMG)
- Underbarrel Grenade Launcher
- Conventional Specialty Weaponry
Unconventional Projectile Weapons
- Specialty Weaponry
- Exotic Weaponry
- Rocket Battery
- Tube Artillery
After melee weapons are developed, KEW weapons, also known as conventional firearms tend to follow in most sophont societies. Later DEW and GUW weapons tend to be developed. KEW weapons can be very primitive or highly advanced depending on the society that developed them. However, despite their usual status as the first non-archaic ranged weapons to develop in most sophont societies, they never go out of style.
At the cutting edge of TL:13-15 Charted Space, ACRs, gauss guns, gyrojets, needlers, and a variety of other KEW weapons remain in wide use from one corner of sophontic space to the other.
The fire mode of a KEW weapon can encompass a number of factors including intentionality, purpose, and RoF:
- Automatic Fire
- Burst Fire
- Called Shot
- Reactive Fire
- Suppressive Fire
|This article is missing content for one or more detailed sections. Additional details are required to complete the article. You can help the Traveller Wiki by expanding it.|
- This article is an amalgamation of many different materials published since 1977.
- Loren Wiseman. "Personal Weapons." Challenge 67 (1992): TBD.
- Traveller Wiki Editorial Team
- Author & Contributor: Lord (Marquis) and Master of Sophontology Maksim-Smelchak of the Ministry of Science