This is a world-system under construction and is currently being input-programmed into the Traveller RPG Wiki.
|Scybria/Loran (Halcyon 2012)|
|Classic Era (1115)|| |
- As an industrial world, this planet has well-developed manufacturing and processing industries. Manufactured goods are a major export item.
- Its economy is rapidly growing and living conditions are expected to rapidly improve barring outside forces.
- This is a temperate world, with a climate of pleasant, average temperatures, considered to be an ideal or near-ideal environment by many different sophont species.
- It is a member of the High Senate in the Loran Subsector of Halcyon Sector, which is part of the Distant Fringe.
- 1 Description / Astrography & Planetology
- 2 History & Background / Dossier
- 3 References & Contributors / Sources
Description / Astrography & Planetology
Scybria Monostellar System Star Name Hierarchy Color Classification Remarks Scybria Primary Yellow G0 V
The primary is Parsathu, an ordinary yellow main sequence star. It has a luminosity of 1.21 Sols, a mass of 1.04 Sols, and a diameter of 1.433 million km. The inner system consists of (II) a vacuum inner world, and (III) a corrosive atmosphere inferno world – orbital position (I) is empty. (IV) Scybria orbits within the habitable zone and is designated the mainworld. (V) a small gas giant, (VI) an exotic atmosphere bigworld, (VII) a ringed large gas giant, and (VIII) a small ice giant form the outer system. Many of the worlds retain satellites.
(IV) Scybria is designated the mainworld. It orbits Parsathu at a mean distance of 1.02 AU (152.6 million km), within the habitable zone. It has an orbital period of 368 days 23 hours and a rotation period of 24.5 hours. The axial tilt is 17 degrees. Scybria has a diameter of 11,728 km, a density of 6.01 g/cm³, and a surface gravity of 1.0 G. The world is geologically active. Its atmosphere is rated as Dense, Tainted, with a mean surface pressure of 1.62 bar and a composition of 78% nitrogen (N2), 21% oxygen (O2), and 1% argon (Ar), water vapor (H2O), carbon dioxide (CO2), neon (Ne) and other trace gases. The taint is caused by industrial pollutants and by residual radiation caused by warfare: radiation levels exceed 0.5 rads per hour. Approximately 64% of the surface is covered in oceans of liquid water: average tidal ranges exceed 0.4m. Mean surface temperature: 19°C. The atmosphere is dynamic and strong weather systems driven by the star and the seas drive across the globe. The climate is seasonal.
- (IVa) Thrask (UWP F454569-7, orbiting Scybria at 40 Diameters/469,000 km)
- (IVb) Nimrod (UWP G20036A-7, orbiting Scybria at 55 Diameters/645,000 km)
Mainworld Geography and Topography
Total surface area: 432 million km², Water surface area: 276 million km², Land surface area: 156 million km². Much of the surface is covered by the stormy Scybric Ocean. The majority of the land surface area is concentrated into a large rugged supercontinent named Panscyb and a small mountainous continent called Outranger, divided from one another by the shallow Broadcallow Sea. There are a number of subcontinental landmasses and large islands as well as numerous archipelagos. The polar regions are dominated in the north by Gravelland, a series of large islands covered in a continuous icecap, and by the fractured Icepack Sea in the south.
Scybria, the mainworld, has extensive, abundant native life, with complex organisms inhabiting every ecological niche. Their metabolic functions drive the process of atmospheric renewal.
- Thrask, Scybria's temperate, hospitable inner moon has extensive native life, consisting of microscopic organisms, stromatolite-parallels and primitive flora that can be found in almost every ecological niche. Their metabolic functions drive the process of atmospheric renewal.
History & Background / Dossier
No information yet available.
Scybria has a routine quality starport.
- A Class C Starport Facility has minimal if any shipyards and can only perform extremely limited repair work.
- This facility has many very skilled personnel who can perform surprisingly sophisticated repair work despite the limited facilities.
- This facility has refueling infrastructure and limited refining capabilities. One may purchase unrefined fuel here.
- Starports of this class rarely have both a Lowport and a Highport.
World Technology Level
- Common Communication technologies for this TL include: Fiber optics, improved telephones, and satellite communication and data networks.
- Common Power Generation technologies for this TL include: Improved geothermal and improved batteries.
- Common Transportation technologies for this TL include:
Scybria has a Balkanized Government.
- No central ruling authority exists. Rival governments compete for control.
- The typical power source of this government is a Balkanization.
- The typical power structure of this government is a Confederation (Anarchy).
National Defense Armies. Scybria remains heavily militarised, and each nation on the world retains powerful armed forces.
Heavily industrialised. Large production facilities can be found in and around all major cities.
A number of important companies have their headquarters at Scybria:
5 billion humans of Terran descent.
General outlook: Progressive (advancing), Competitive (neutral), Harmonious (friendly).
Strangeness 9 (many odd local customs and habits), Symbols 9 (Distinctive national and regional building styles, and distinctive local styles of clothing).
- Low-ranking males may not wear facial hair - only those holding a senior social position rank may sport a beard, and it must be properly kept. No person at all may have long hair. Derives from the requirement that military personnel be clean-shaven and short-haired.
- All individuals of lower social status sleep in communal dormitories. Within dormitories, individuals are segregated by gender and age. Day-rooms may be rented or purchased but sleeping within them is strictly forbidden. Individuals who hold a higher social status are afforded the privilege of private sleeping quarters.
Heavily populated. Hundreds of large cities, thousands of smaller cities and towns. Very few areas of the world remain as wilderness. Extensive road and rail network.
- A former member of the Second Confederation.
- A former member of the Halcyonic New Republic.
- A former member of the Grand Ascendency.
- A former member of the Scybrian Polyarchy.
Scybria is one of the original Seven Colonies.
The world was devastated by the Siege of Scybria and still bears the scars of that tumultuous conflict. It lost nearly a sixth of its population during the siege, almost no structures remained undamaged, and the infrastructure of the world was utterly destroyed. The starport is still being rebuilt, with the aim of restoring it to a grade A facility by 5650AD.
- 2257AD. The first human outpost is established on Scybria.
- 2325AD. The first Hopper hive is established on Scybria.
- 2500AD. The population exceeds 100 million.
- 5388AD–5389AD. Siege of Scybria
No information yet available.
References & Contributors / Sources
|This article is missing content for one or more detailed sections. Additional details are required to complete the article. You can help the Traveller Wiki by expanding it.|