IISS port facility for the support, maintenance, and repair of scout vessels.
- Scout bases tend to be mainly surface installations equipped with basic facilities for fueling and for minor maintenance activities oriented toward ships of 1,000 tons or less, although most will have a small orbital installation in case of a scout being unable to land due to damage.
History & Background (Dossier)
Scout bases are positioned in systems more out of the way than are naval bases, and for a reason.
- The scout bases serve as a source of ships carrying dispatches from the well-travelled X-Boat lanes to more remote worlds. Scout bases also have other responsibilities, and most have an administrative responsibility in addition to the maintenance and refueling of scout ships.
- Within a Subsector, one base will hold responsibility for cartography within the subsector, another will be responsible for technical developments, and still another for contact or liaison activities.
- The scout base is more extensive than an xboat station, but less comprehensive than a way station.
- Please also see Way Station, and X-Boat Station.
Worlds & Sectors (Astrography)
World Listing: 1105
There are known bases of this type located in the following systems and worlds:
References & Contributors (Sources)
- Classic Traveller Supplement 11 Library Data (N-Z)
- Classic Traveller The Traveller Book
- Marc Miller. Marc Miller's Traveller (Imperium Games, 1996), 186.
- GURPS Traveller: Starports
- Author & Contributor: Lord (Marquis) and Master of Sophontology Maksim-Smelchak of the Ministry of Science