This is a world-system under construction and is currently being input-programmed into the Traveller RPG Wiki.
|Sarrad/Drexilthar (Reaver's Deep 2129)|
|Classic Era (1115)|| |
|Primary||K8 V M3 V|
Sarrad is a low-population water world, which has 90% or more of its surface covered in an ocean of water and a population of less than 10,000 sophonts.
- The inhabitants of this world live on the roughly 10% of exposed land mass, in underwater colonies, on city ships, or similar arrangements.
- This dangerous world is designated an Amber Zone with an environment, laws, customs, life forms, or other conditions make it dangerous to visitors.
- It is a member of the Carrillian Assembly in the Drexilthar Subsector of Reaver's Deep Sector.
Description (Astrography & Planetology)
Binary Solar System
Sarrad Binary Star System Star Name Hierarchy Color Classification Remarks Sarrad Primary Primary Orange K8 V Sarrad Companion Secondary Red M3 V
Primary: Vanadarr, spectral class G4V. ICN S4K0509G4V. Mass 0.96 standard. Stellar diameter 0.94 standard. Luminosity 0.778 standard.
Planetary System: Five major bodies. One inhabited world (Sarrad, II). Three gas giants, two planetoid belts in system.
II Sarrad: Mean orbital radius, 75.0 million kilometers (0.5 AU). Period, 131.80 days ... No satellites ... Diameter, 14,003 kilometers. Density, 0.96. Mass, 0.96 standard. Mean surface gravity, 0.96 G. Rotation period: 25 hours, 51 minutes, 13 seconds. Axial Inclination, 8°18'6.6" Albedo, .45 ... Surface atmospheric pressure, 2.2atm; composition, standard oxygen-nitrogen mix, breathable without artificial assistance. Hydrographic percentage, 99%; composition, liquid water (ice at poles). Mean surface temperature, 40°C.
Point of Interest: Undersea Colony Domes
Up until 1108, the colony there supported a population of over three million in a vast complex of undersea structures grouped around Starport Island, with a scattering of outposts lying farther out to oversee mari-culture and other pelagic exploitation.
History & Background (Dossier)
In a tragic catastrophe, the colony domes inexplicably failed. Safety interlocks apparently were inadequate, and the entire population was wiped out as sea water flooded into the colony domes under great pressure.
A few thousand people survived the horrific deluge, mostly starport workers, outpost personnel, and a few lucky individuals who managed to reach secure parts of the domes which were not flooded out entirely. But the magnitude of the disaster was overwhelming.
No one has any solid evidence as to the cause of the Sarrad disaster. Official stories are citing a failure of computer-monitored fail-safes on the main submarine lock, but this is large speculation based on survivors' stories and computer simulations aimed at seeing just how so massive a failure could have come about; no hard evidence exists.
More fanciful stories have been circulating as well:
- The colony was destroyed by terrorists inn sympathy with the Ildrissaran Resistance (unlikely - the Ildrissaran Resistance wasn't particularly well organized six years ago).
- The colony was destroyed by a hostile, intelligent, aquatic life form (unlikely - no other evidence of such a life form has yet been uncovered on Sarrad).
- The colony was destroyed at the orders of High Justice Daldreem for some obscure purpose of his own (probably the result of Ildrissaran propaganda - Daldreem is generally conceded to be a megalomaniac and a tyrant, but no plausible purpose can be offered for such a blatant and apparently senseless order).
After the destruction of the colony, the Assembly moved to resettle Sarrad; preparations for this are almost complete. The Dakaar Corporation has offered to assist the assembly in the new construction and colonization effort in exchange for rights to operate a fleet of seagoing mineral extraction and processing vessels out of the rebuilt colony. This offer was been accepted, and work has begun on new colony domes.
References & Contributors (Sources)
|This article is missing content for one or more detailed sections. Additional details are required to complete the article. You can help the Traveller Wiki by expanding it.|
- J. Andrew Keith. Far Traveller 1 (FASA, 1982), TBD.
- Dale Kemper. Far Traveller 2 (FASA, 1983), TBD.
- Jim Cunningham, John Harshman, J. Andrew Keith, Marc W. Miller, Gordon Sheridan. Atlas of the Imperium (Game Designers Workshop, 1984), TBD.
- J. Andrew Keith, Marc Miller, John Harshman. Aslan (Game Designers Workshop, 1984), TBD. (named but no further data)
- William H. Keith Jr.. Duneraiders (Gamelords, 1984), TBD.
- J. Andrew Keith. Ascent to Anekthor (Gamelords, 1984), TBD.
- J. Andrew Keith. Pilot's Guide to the Drexilthar Subsector (Gamelords, 1984), TBD. (data-generated)
- J. Andrew Keith. Escape (Marischal Adventures, 1987), TBD.
- Gary L. Thomas. The Travellers' Digest 16 (Digest Group Publications, 1989), TBD.
- James Holden, Joe D. Fugate Sr., Terrance McInnes. Vilani & Vargr (Digest Group Publications, 1990), TBD. (dot map provided)
- Peter G. Celella, James Holden. Solomani & Aslan (Digest Group Publications, 1991), TBD. (dot map provided)
- Loren Wiseman. Challenge 54 (Game Designers' Workshop, 1991), 20.
- Kevin Knight. "Pilot's Guide to the Caledon Subsector." Traveller Chronicle 05 (1994): TBD.
- Kevin Knight. Traveller Chronicle 06 (Sword of the Knight Publications, 1994), TBD.
- Kevin Knight. "A Pilot's Guide to the Caledon Subsector." Traveller Chronicle 07 (1995): TBD.
- William H. Keith Jr., J. Andrew Keith. Scam (Cargonaut Press, 1998), TBD.
- Paul Sanders, J. Andrew Keith. Reaver's Deep Sector Sourcebook (Cargonaut Press, 1998), TBD.
- Steve Jackson, Loren Wiseman. Alien Races 4 (Steve Jackson Games, 2001), TBD.
- Brett Kruger. Into the Deep 4 (BKP, 2011), TBD.
- EXTERNAL LINK: Into the Deep #1 Link
- EXTERNAL LINK: Archive.org RingSurf Reavers' Deep Net Ring by Author & Contributor: Keven R. Pittsinger of the RingSurf Reavers' Deep Net Ring
- EXTERNAL LINK: Caledon Subsector - Jimmy Simpson
- EXTERNAL LINK: JTAS Library Data
- EXTERNAL LINK: Non-Canon Traveller Library (defunct)
- Traveller Wiki Editorial Team
- Author & Contributor: Mitchberg
- Author & Contributor: IISS Junior Administrator and Master Astrographer Ensign Phillips
- Author & Contributor: Lord (Marquis) and Master of Sophontology Maksim-Smelchak of the Ministry of Science