This is a world-system under construction and is currently being input-programmed into the Traveller RPG Wiki.
|Sandazar/Sandazar (Course 0223)|
|Classic Era (1115)|| |
|Primary||F5 V M2 VI|
- As an agricultural world, this world is a near-ideal environment for producing quality foodstuffs of plant, animal, and other forms. Quality foodstuffs are a major export commodity for this world.
- This is a rich world with a prosperous and thriving world economy.
- Its economy and population are rapidly growing and living conditions are expected to quickly rise barring outside forces.
- This is a temperate world, with a climate of pleasant, average temperatures, considered to be an ideal or near-ideal environment by many different sophont species.
- It is a Non-Aligned world dominated by human sophonts located in the Sandazar Subsector of Course Sector.
- 1 Astrography and Planetology
- 2 History & Background (Dossier)
- 3 References & Contributors / Sources
Astrography and Planetology
Binary Solar System
Sandazar Binary Star System Star Name Hierarchy Color Classification Remarks Sandazar Primary Primary Yellow-White F5 V Sandazar Companion Secondary Red M2 VI 980 AU from primary
The primary is Nuradu, an ordinary yellow-white main sequence star. It has a luminosity of 3.5 Sols, a mass of 1.3 Sols and a diameter of 1.948 million km. The inner system consists of (I) a vacuum worldlet, (II) a vacuum worldlet and (III) an exotic atmosphere hospitable world – orbital position (IV) is empty. (V) Sandazar is designated the mainworld and orbits within the habitable zone. (VI) a very thin atmosphere hospitable world, (VII) a small gas giant, (VIII) a large gas giant, and (X) a ringed small gas giant form the outer system – orbital position (IX) is empty. Many of the worlds retain satellites.
The companion is Fedush, a red subdwarf star that lies approximately 980 AU from Nuradu and has an orbital period of 27,000 years. It has a luminosity of 0.42 Sols, a mass of 0.134 Sols and a diameter of 272,000 km. It retains a very dense rocky planetoid belt with its inner edge at around orbital position (I) (0.18 AU) and its outer edge at around orbital position (II) (0.45 AU).
(V) Sandazar is designated the mainworld. It orbits Nuradu at a mean distance of 1.6 AU (236 million km), it has an orbital period of 1 year 283 days and a rotation period of 33.5 hours. The axial tilt is 16.5 degrees. Saldazar has a diameter of 10,980 km, a density of 5.45 g/cm³, and a surface gravity of 0.84 G. It is geologically active. Its atmosphere is rated as Dense, with a surface pressure of 2.21 bar and a composition of 76% nitrogen (N2), 23% oxygen (O2), and 1% argon (Ar), carbon dioxide (CO2), water vapor (H2O), neon (Ne) and other trace gases. Approximately 69% of the surface is covered in oceans of liquid water: average tidal ranges exceed 0.5m. Mean surface temperature: 21°C. The climate is rated as Temperate-Prime and experiences minor seasonal changes during the local year. The atmosphere is dynamic and powerful weather systems, driven by the star and the oceans, sweep across the globe.
- (Va) Perlun (UWP Y6B0000-0, orbiting at 20 Diameters/220,000 km).
- (Vb) Vanatak (UWP H200000-0, orbiting at 35 Diameters/385,000 km).
- Vanatak is the site of Sandazar's first native adventure into space; in 5575AD an entirely locally manufactured spacecraft performed a manned landing on the moon and emplaced a navigational beacon.
Mainworld Geography and Topography
Total surface area: 379 million km², Water surface area: 262 million km², Land surface area: 117 million km². There are four major continents: large, rugged Arrakada dominating the northern polar regions, jungle-covered Jemask in the northern tropics, and large Alcione and smaller Feebor in the southern temperate zone. There are a number of subcontinental islands and many archipelagos. The major bodies of water are the Sea of Winds, the Weed Sea, and the Great Eastern Ocean. Small seasonal icecaps are located at each pole.
Sandazar, the mainworld, is a garden world that has extensive, abundant native life, with complex organisms inhabiting every ecological niche. The flora is prolific and has a tendency towards multiple narrow stems and disc-shaped leaves: foliage is generally dark green in colour. Their metabolic functions power the process of atmospheric renewal. The majority of local fauna follows the body pattern Bilateral HBS-T-LN-LN-T for herbivores / Bilateral HBS-T-AN-LN-T for carnivores, with skeletal interiors, hemolymph fluids, and leathery exteriors, and have their vision centered in the GBV spectrum. Many species of flora and fauna grow to gigantic sizes.
The cold marginally hospitable world lying in orbital position (VI) has extensive native life, consisting of minute multicellular organisms that can be found in most ecological niches. Their metabolic functions drive the process of atmospheric renewal.
History & Background (Dossier)
A prospering world with a long history of settlement. It is considered to be the prime world of Course Sector.
Sandazar has a routine quality starport.
- A Class C Starport Facility has minimal if any shipyards and can only perform extremely limited repair work.
- This facility has many very skilled personnel who can perform surprisingly sophisticated repair work despite the limited facilities.
- This facility has refueling infrastructure and limited refining capabilities. One may purchase unrefined fuel here.
- Starports of this class rarely have both a Lowport and a Highport.
World technology level
- Common Communication technologies for this TL include: Early video and early satellite communication networks.
- Common Power Generation technologies for this TL include: Early fuel cells, solar energy, and geothermal power sources.
- Common Transportation technologies for this TL include:
- It is a government by agencies employing individuals selected for their expertise.
- The typical power source of this government is an Oligarchy.
- The typical power structure of this government is a Unitary State.
No information yet available.
- Resources: 9 (Moderate)
- Labor: 6 (Millions)
- Infrastructure: A (Extensive)
- Efficiency: (+0)
No information yet available.
Population: 57,400,000 Sophonts.
- Humaniti (Human races)
- Native Non-Human Races:
Almost all of Sandazar's population are concentrated within the temperate southern continent of Alcione, which is dotted with cities and agricultural settlements and crossed by broad highways and rail networks. Significant settlements away from Alcione include an exclusive walled pleasure community in the inappropriately-named Moderation Islands, a safari center on jungle-clad Jemask, and a deep-ocean agricultural habitat in the Weed Sea that produces shellfish. Almost all of the rest of the world is maintained as pristine wilderness.
- Homogeneity: 6 (Harmonious)
- Acceptance: 8 (Friendly)
- Strangeness: 4
- Symbols: 6
Sandazar was first surveyed around 2300AD and was settled around 2850AD by a few thousand refugees fleeing the repressive Second Confederation. The settlement expanded rapidly after 3400AD, by individuals from coreward seeking a better life following the civil wars. The temperate, pleasant garden world, with an existing community, offered opportunity and prospects.
Sandazar was little affected by the Voyagers, though starships present within the system in the early years of the Dark Age were destroyed by the creatures. During the period the world maintained the most basic of starport facilities, though the port primarily served as an air transportation hub. The population increased during this time: the bureaucratic government was able to maintain a firm grip on the economy and keep the world united and peaceful, enabling it to become rich. Sandazar was recontacted during Scavenger Season and for a time it served as a corsair base for a group operating against the New Frontiers Development Organization. Following a punitive strike by Security forces employed by New Frontiers in 4990AD, Sandazar very publicly removed the corsair presence.
Throughout the early centuries of the 6th millennium it continued to upgrade its infrastructure and port facilities, beginning domestic industry and even a space program. It became a part of the Outland Run Star Lane at around the time of the Scybrian Wars and has continued to develop and prosper since that time, becoming the de facto Capital of Course Sector.
- Isolationist community (ca 2850AD): E787304-4 Ga Lo Lt
- Civil war-period immigration (ca 3400AD): D787535-5 Ag Ga Ni Lt
- Dark Age survival (ca 4500AD): E787697-5 Ag Ga Ni Ri
- Recontacted world (ca 4850AD): D787696-6 Ag Ga Ni Ri
- Linked to the Outland Run Star Lane (ca 5400AD): C787796-7 Ag Ga Ri
References & Contributors / Sources
|This article has a secret.|
|This article is missing content for one or more detailed sections. Additional details are required to complete the article. You can help the Traveller Wiki by expanding it.|
- Author & Contributor: Lord (Marquis) and Master Scout Emeritus Adie Alegoric Stewart of the IISS
- Author & Contributor: Lord (Marquis), Captain, and Lead Naval Architect Ronald B. Kline, Jr. of the Imperial Navy
- Author & Contributor: Lord (Marquis) and Master of Sophontology Maksim-Smelchak of the Ministry of Science