- It is a versatile tool that has no real replacement even at higher tech levels.
Rope is the single most important element of a climber’s equipment; it can be used to bind prisoners; it can add safety to water or ravine crossings. A variety of types and sizes are available; in general, however,they are all similar in reliability and price within any given tech level.
Rope suitable for climbing comes in lengths of 50 meters and has a diameter of 10mm. It can typically support a weight of 900 kg.
- At TL–1 to TL–5, rope is usually of constructed from organic fibers.
- At TL–6+, it is manufactured from some form of synthetic fiber.
- At TL–8+, rope can be made strong enough to climb, but too fine for hands to get a grip. Such rope has half the normal mass, but requires special tools to climb or descend from. It may have special properties at TL–8+, such as increased stretch, fire resistance, conductivity or insulation, etc.
References & Contributors (Sources)
- Marc Miller. Imperial Encyclopedia (Game Designers Workshop, 1987), 63.
- Greg Porter. Central Supply Catalog (Imperium Games, 1996), 29,33.
- Marc Miller. T5 Core Rules (Far Future Enterprises, 2013), 633.
- Traveller Wiki Editorial Team
- Author & Contributor: Lord (Marquis) and Master of Sophontology Maksim-Smelchak of the Ministry of Science