Rite of Assassination
The Rite of Assassination is an archaic Imperial law providing for leadership succession according to the dictates of power politics. And by power politics, what is meant is might makes right, the law of the jungle.
- Also known as the Right of Assassination.
History & Background (Dossier)
Although the right of assassination has fallen into disuse, it is generally agreed that for the method to be a valid route to the Iridium Throne, certain precedents must be followed:
- 1) The assassin must be a high noble;
- 2) The assassin must kill the Emperor by his own hand in the presence of witnesses;
- 3) The Moot must approve of the new Emperor; just as with any successor.
Thus, the reason for the assassination must be well founded, or Moot confirmation will likely be denied. Moot confirmation can make all the difference - depending on what the Moot says, the assassin could be hailed as a courageous hero (...with legitimacy) or prosecuted as a seditious murderer (...without legitimacy).
The first Third Imperium emperor to be shot by his successor was Cleon III, also known as Cleon the Mad. Selected by lot in a secret meeting of the High Moot, Porfiria shot Cleon III in his council chambers in 245. Porfiria was subsequently proclaimed Empress by Moot confirmation.
- During the Civil War period, several usurpers attempted to claim the throne by the right of assassination - few succeeded... in receiving in-coerced Moot confirmation.
References & Contributors (Sources)
- MegaTraveller Player's Manual
- Novel: Far Future Enterprises Traveller 5th Edition Agent of the Imperium
- Author & Contributor: Lord (Marquis) and Master of Sophontology Maksim-Smelchak of the Ministry of Science