Resource Unit (RU) is a highly abstract measurement of the economic capabilities (production) of a world.
- The Resource Unit is a measure by which Imperial economists measure the economic behavior of the sophonts on a planet (world).
- It is also known by the less formal term Aryu.
- Interstellar Commerce
- Business Entities
The calculation of the RU involves access to natural resources, labor, infrastructure, and a complex analysis of cultural factors. It also approximately measures the world's budget.
The RU of a world is rated on the Avery-Quesnay Economic Scale, ranging -13,680 to 13,680.
- The zero point of the scale represents a self sufficient economy, negative values represent a dependent or contracting economy, and positive values show an economy with growth or export capability.
- Please see Resource Unit/summary for more information.
The Office of the Emperor, the Imperial Bureaucracy, the Imperial Interstellar Scout Service, the Travellers' Aid Society, the Merchant Service, the Educational Institutes, and many other interstellar organizations use this data for governance, interstellar economy, world surveys, and other necessary tasks.
Such data drives Charted Space.
- Pocket Empires
- T5 Core Rules (pg.428)
- Traveller Wiki Editorial Team
- Author & Contributor: Lord (Marquis) and Master of Sophontology Maksim-Smelchak of the Ministry of Science