|Homeworld||Eatleiousta (Beyond Asyoh)|
- 1 Description (Specifications)
- 2 History & Background (Dossier)
- 3 Culture & Society (Ethnology)
- 4 Government & Politics (Leadership)
- 5 Language & Letters (Communication)
- 6 Calendar & Timekeeping (Chronology)
- 7 Technology & Trade (Economy)
- 8 Military & Intelligence (Force Projection)
- 9 Worlds & Sectors (Astrography)
- 10 References & Contributors (Sources)
This species may have some evolutionary connection with the Maskai.
Physiology & Environment (Ecology)
Physically, Poicxh stand a half meter in height, with their back two pairs of limbs acting as legs, and their forward pair of limbs as manipulators ending in a three-fingered hand. The Poicxh are a hexapodal (six-limbed: four locomotor limbs and two manipulator limbs) species. Shells range from purplish-black for queens, bluish-silver for princesses, and brown-gold, gold-green, and red-gold for workers and warriors. Drones are black-silver in color.
- Poicxh exoskeletons are naturally laser reflective and can be treated as (jack/reflec) for combat purposes. Poicxh mandibles do little damage, but warriors are equipped and trained in the use of G'viv, artificial mandible blades that to dagger damage. Strong for their size, Poicxh strength is comparable to baseline human norms while Poicxh dexterity is less capable than human norms. Poicxh stamina is less than humans (-2 stamina for queens, -1 stamina for all others). By design or evolution, Poicxh drones are very intelligent.
Psychology & Philosophy (Mindset)
Poicxh tend to be xenophillic as a species, and work well with other races. They also take a live and let live attitude towards life, living one day at a time. The past is non-essential to the Poicxh, except for drone scientists. An example of this is their attitude towards the Aslan, against whom they show no ill will for driving them off their homeworlds.
- This attitude has been very bewildering and irritating to Aslan who meet Poicxh.
History & Background (Dossier)
The Poicxh gained the jump drive from Humaniti traders nearly 700 years ago, slowly expanding to Murv/Aslani (Beyond 2735) and Alhazred/Aslani (Beyond 3033). In a war with Aslani clan forces (801-814), they were driven off their native planets and now live a largely nomadic existence except for one Sept based at Northstar/Darkling Regions (Beyond 2819).
Culture & Society (Ethnology)
Poicxh organize themselves socially under queens like many Terran insects. New queens come about when an old queen dies, a group breaks and forms a new Sept, or a new Sept is declared and organized by the queen of the base Sept. In the latter case the new Sept's queen is selected by the old Sept's queen. In the case of an old queen dying, a new queen is selected by ballot by the Sept's princesses from their own ranks. When declared queen, the princess must undergo a biochemical process to convert her into a fertile female Poicxh.
Social Organization: 1116
Poicxh society is hierarchical with a Queen for each Sept, whether it is a battle fleet, a corporation, or a planetary enclave. Each Queen, no matter how small her following is treated as an equal by her fellow Queens.
- Ship command, actual business operations and running society is handled by royal princesses. All other work is handled by workers (sexless females). Warriors are sexless females trained by combat skills and tactics from birth. Each caste is determined by feeding the immature Poicxh special diets until maturity.
- Drones (male Poicxh) lead a sequestered life of research, writing, mating, and being the memories of their race. Each queen keeps a harem of six to twenty-six drones, fertilizing each clutch of eggs with a different drone.
- All career categories are open (…except assassin) for Poicxh characters of princess, warrior, or worker castes. Queens will be of noble career only, no matter their prior careers. However most Poicxh adventuring independently of Poicxh Septs will usually be communications-sensor specialists, or techs.
- Names are a sign of rank among the Poicxh. Queens take one-syllable names, which make some queenly names like Kiklik hard for non-Poicxh to pronounce, while princess take two-syllable names. Drones possess three-syllable names while workers can possess names that range from four to twelve syllables.
- Colonies (Septs): Poicxh society is organized as colonies (Septs) with a Queen for each Sept. Septs may be formed in a static location such as planetary enclaves or asteroid outposts, and also as nomadic and highly mobile Septs such as free traders, spacegoing (ship-based) corporations, or mercenary battlefleets. While Septs cooperate, trade, and support one another, each Sept will be organized as a separate self-sufficient entity.
- Northstar (Planetary Enclave) Sept: The Northstar Sept (TUV, Ltd.) was founded by Queen Thli in 930 and is one of the leading innovators of sensor and communicators in the Beyond. TUV has recently opened a new division manufacturing psi-blockers for the Imperium. Located on Northstar/Darkling Regions (Beyond 2819).
- Intercourse (Planetary Enclave) Sept : A new Sept under Queen Choich has organized at Intercourse/Subsector Delta (Beyond 0315) producing robots as well as communication devices and sensors.
- THYK-NEST (CORPORATE) SEPT : A spacegoing concern, Queen Thyk, with her consorts, operates out of a three-hundred year-old 40,000 model liner. The ex-liner, called the "Thyk-Nest" or "JN-Thyk" is commanded by Queen Thyk and primarily manufactures various goods for other Poicxh customers. The Thyk-Nest cruises the Middle Beyond Subsector; with twice a year stops at Aerhy in the Middle Beyond at which time JN-Thyk Sept holds a bazaar open to all races.
- FREE TRADER (CORPORATE) SEPTS: There were, at last counting, eighteen spacegoing Septs operating under princesses as free traders scattered throughout the Beyond.
Government & Politics (Leadership)
Poicxh organize themselves socially under queens like many Terran insects. See "Poicxh Social Organization".
Language & Letters (Communication)
Poicxh communicate using a system of natural transmitters/receivers of which their antennae are the focus.
- Any non-Poicxh commos tuned to the right frequency and equipped with a translator may communicate with Poicxh. The Poicxh also manufacture jilkai (human slang: “bugspeakers”) for sale to other races. Poicxh antennae also act as the focus for natural passive sensors (range: 1/2 km). These sensors are artificially augmented in sensor specialist warriors. The Poicxh with commo and sensors skills have their difficulties lowered by (-1 point).
- Normal Poicxh communication transmits in harmonic musical patterns. The race however, has learn to alter their transmissions, often mimicking other races, or even hiding among alien broadcast signals (referred by the Poicxh as 'wave riding').
Calendar & Timekeeping (Chronology)
Technology & Trade (Economy)
A TL 12 level race (…except for communication devices and sensors which are TL 15; and robotics at TL 14), the Poicxh today number at least 300,000 sophonts, mostly leading the life of traders and scientists.
- The Poicxh have a vibrant economy based upon trade, research and development technologies, and the production of manufactured goods. All Psoixch Septs exchange goods with not only other Poicxh Septs, but with nearby sophont societies. In many cases, Psoixch far traders and scouts actively search for new trade routes and markets for their goods.
- A rumor has surfaced from humans doing business with the Aslan scholars that the Poicxh may have originally developed more rimward than previously thought, driven to Eatleiousta by an ancient war with the Hierate. Also, it is rumored is that the Poicxh had jump drives before first contact with the Aslan.
Military & Intelligence (Force Projection)
Not all Poicxh are peaceful. The Imperium has been recruiting Poicxh for reconnaissance and intelligence work for nearly 240 years.
- Poicxh excel at combat due their experiences with the Aslan and stress the use of ranged weapons, powered battledress, grav sleds and the use of warbots (Poicxh bots tend to resemble Aslan body forms) or non-Poicxh mercenaries for close combat. Poicxh manufacture their own power armor suited to their smaller frames and favor plasma weaponry.
- Six known Poicxh vessels operate with Dark Goddesses, with dozens of individuals scattered throughout the Goddesses' fleet as techs.
- The Sred*Ni are negotiating with Queen Kiklik of the Tch'ictl Battlefleet to fight against the Aslan.
Poicxh Fleet Composition
- TCH'ICTL (MERCENARY BATTLEFLEET) SEPT: Queen Kiklik commands the mercenary Tch'ictl Battlefleet, based on Pascal Base (NE Middle Beyond). The fleet contains:
- Two 300+ year-old Poicxh battleships
- One Aslan armoured cruiser
- One light carrier
- Three ex-Imperial light cruisers
- Eight destroyers
- Seventeen serpent class scout/couriers
- One light carrier
- Two repair tenders
- One hospital ship
- Nine transports
Worlds & Sectors (Astrography)
This race (sophont species) is primarily located in the following areas:
The homeworld of this race is:
- No information yet available.
World Listing: 1105
Significant communities of this race (sophont species) are known to exist within the following systems and worlds:
References & Contributors (Sources)
|This article is missing content for one or more detailed sections. Additional details are required to complete the article. You can help the Traveller Wiki by expanding it.|
- Author & Contributor: Michael J. Maley - High Tortuga
- "The High Tortuga Traveller website is managed by Darkhstarr. Requests to post material on this site welcomed. Any non-canonical material by the author may be posted to another site as long as the author gets credited and a link to this site is published with the posted material." (Paraphrased)
- Author & Contributor: MIMIC - Minor Imp of the Ministry of Information and Communication
- Author & Contributor: Lord (Marquis) and Master of Sophontology Maksim-Smelchak of the Ministry of Science