Picard's Belt (world)
|Picard's Belt/Cinder (Gateway 2440)|
|Classic Era (1115)|| |
Picard's Belt is a ring of many small worldlets (planetoids AKA an "asteroid belt"), not capable of retaining an atmosphere or water, and nonindustrial in nature.
- Life in a vacuum requires great discipline. After all, it only takes one forgotten seal on a vacuum suit to spell death. Those who survive tend to be very methodically-minded and attentive to small detail.
- The worldlets require extensive imports of outside technology to maintain a modern, star-faring society.
- It is a Non-Aligned world dominated by human sophonts located in the Cinder Subsector of Gateway Sector.
- The worldlets contain several xeno-archaeological site with suspected high-tech remnants of the now-vanished Ancients precursor race.
A vast cloud of asteroids circles this F6 star in numbers so great the star itself seems lost in a thick, smokey haze. Several hundred asteroid colonies have been established in the outer fringes of the system, which sustains itself by mining various ores for export, primarily to the Viyard Concourse.
Point of interest: Mystery of Picard's Belt
Of particular interest are the ruins, artifacts, and anomalies discovered on numerous planetoids within the belt.
- None can be identified, and the intelligence behind them is unknown.
- A featureless 20-cm sphere of unknown alloy and purpose
- Pyramidal buildings with no accessible entrances
- A 50-km asteroid which has been cored by some process which left only a ring of nickle iron with mirror-polished inner walls.
It has been suggested that the artifacts are the product of an alien civilization inhabiting asteroids deeper within the Belt, but the theory remains unproven and speculative.
History & Background (Dossier)
No information yet available.