Pel Avena Cluster
- 1 Details / Specifications
- 2 Physical Astrography
- 3 Political Astrography
- 4 History & Background
- 5 References & Contributors (Sources)
Details / Specifications
The Pel Avena Cluster is named for the Pel Avena system and its orange giant primary star. It straddles the border between the Demon's Eye and Orret Subsectors in Far Home Sector and lies on the rimward edge of the Demon's Eye Rift. Its worlds are accessible by conventional jump-1 vessels and it links to the Star Lane network through the Pador-Peset Spur. The cluster has been inhabited for millennia and has a rich and complex history and many ancient traditions.
Other Clusters & Traces
Rifts & Voids
Other Astrographic Features
- Demon's Eye Nebula
- The Cauldron Nebula, lying within Cauldron Sector, some 86 parsecs to coreward-trailing, can be seen as a star-studded luminous region in night-time skies from all of the worlds of the Cluster.
- Basilisk's Eye (1723 Tarchon Sector). The extremely luminous white supergiant star, lying around 122 parsecs to coreward-trailing, can be clearly seen from all of the worlds of the Cluster.
- Demon's Eye (1621 Far Home Sector). The intensely luminous blue supergiant star lying approximately 15 parsec to spinward-coreward at its closest point, can be clearly seen from all of the worlds of the Cluster even in daylight.
Worlds & Sectors (Astrography)
This astrographic feature is primarily found in the following area:
The Pel Avena Cluster lies within the following Subsectors:
- Demon's Eye Subsector: Subsector J of Far Home Sector.
- Orret Subsector: Subsector K of Far Home Sector.
Population: 11.08 billion Sophonts.
- Humaniti (Human races)
- Other Non-Human Races:
- Hoppers: an estimated 374.65 million "Distant" Hoppers (3.38% of the population), typically within established human communities. Most have never visited Fedan, their ancestral homeworld, and many have developed unique customs and habits.
- Quemm: approximately 60 million (0.54% of the population), primarily on Dal Hallen, their homeworld.
- Temelik: approximately 130,000 found throughout human-controlled space.
The following languages are the most commonly spoken within the Cluster:
- Anglish The language of the Firstworlds. A direct descendant of Fleet Anglic, widely spoken throughout the Distant Fringe. Most people know a few words and phrases of Anglish.
- Meranto. The language of the Rimward Federation, closely related to Fleet Anglic. It is not widely spoken outside of the Pel Avena Cluster – many native Meranto speakers can also speak Anglish.
- Padori. A direct descendant of Fleet Anglic, widely spoken within the Pador-Aredian cluster and common throughout the rimward half of Far Home Sector.
The Rimward Federation, an inward-looking representative democracy headed by the First Jerent, represented by the Assembly of the Federation, and policed by the militaristic Guard. The Federation is intensely mercantile and Feds see themselves as shrewd traders, able to make a profit out of anything. Much of the Federation is run like a commercial business.
- The worlds of the Cluster teem with activity and its ports are lousy with ships.
- Dal Hallen is the capital.
History & Background
Major Historical Events Timeline
Some of the more important historical events that have affected this area include:
- ca 350,000BCE Proto-Quemm emerge on their homeworld.
- 2255AD: The Last Armada arrives in the Demon Cluster.
- 2500AD: The monolithic and anti-expansionist Second Confederation is founded. Settlement within the Demon Cluster is restricted to its coreward regions: the Pel Avena Cluster remains largely unexplored.
- ca 2900AD: first official Quemm-human contact.
- ca 3200AD: very limited exploration within the rimward regions of the Demon Cluster.
- ca 3500AD: Sporadic but gradual settlement throughout the Pel Avena Cluster.
- 3730AD: Voyagers arrive and devastate the region. The Dark Age begins.
- 4549AD: Unusual activity in the primary star of the Demon's Eye system. The Voyagers depart and the Dark Age ends. Away from the Cluster, the Renaissance sees the first steps back into space.
- ca 4900AD: Golden Age. Space travel becomes relatively commonplace.
- ca 4900AD: Rimward Opportunities begins commercial exploration of the rimward regions of the Sector.
- 5184AD: The Rimward Federation is founded from the core regions of Rimward Opportunities.
- 5600AD: Data for the Pel Avena Cluster is published in the DSP Listing.
References & Contributors (Sources)
- Author & Contributor: Lord (Marquis) and Master Scout Emeritus Adie Alegoric Stewart of the IISS
- Author & Contributor: Lord (Marquis) and Master of Sophontology Maksim-Smelchak of the Ministry of Science