- 1 Description (Specifications)
- 2 Physical Astrography
- 3 Political Astrography
- 4 History & Background (Dossier)
- 5 Worlds & Sectors (Astrography)
- 6 References & Contributors / Sources
The Pador-Aredian Cluster is named for the white subgiant primary star of the Aredian system and for the politically and economically dominant world of Pador. It straddles the border between Orret and Aredian Subsectors in Far Home Sector and lies on the rimward edge of the Demon's Eye Rift. Its worlds are accessible by conventional jump-1 vessels and it links to the Star Lane network through the Pador-Peset Spur. The cluster has been inhabited for millennia and has a rich and complex history and many ancient traditions.
Other Clusters & Traces
Rifts & Voids
Other Astrographic Features
- The Cauldron Nebula, lying within Cauldron Sector, some 86 parsecs to coreward-trailing, can be seen as a star-studded luminous region in night-time skies from all of the worlds of the Cluster.
- Basilisk's Eye (1723 Tarchon Sector). The extremely luminous white supergiant star, lying around 122 parsecs to coreward-trailing, can be clearly seen from all of the worlds of the Cluster.
- Demon's Eye (1621 Far Home Sector). The intensely luminous blue supergiant star lying approximately 15 parsec to spinward-coreward at its closest point, can be clearly seen from all of the worlds of the Cluster even in daylight.
The Pador-Aredian Cluster lies within the following Subsectors:
Population: 5.495 billion Sophonts.
- Humaniti (Human races)
- Other Non-Human Races:
- Hoppers: an estimated 154.115 million "Distant" Hoppers (2.8% of the population), typically within established human communities. Most have never visited Fedan, their ancestral homeworld, and many have developed unique customs and habits.
- Diaspora Sath: unknown, estimated to be millions.
- Temelik: approximately 387 million (7.05% of the population), primarily on Iasanu, their homeworld, but found throughout human-controlled space.
The following languages are the most commonly spoken within the Cluster:
- Anglish The language of the Firstworlds. A direct descendant of Fleet Anglic, widely spoken throughout the Distant Fringe. Most people know a few words and phrases of Anglish.
- Meranto. The language of the Rimward Federation, closely related to Fleet Anglic. It is not widely spoken outside of the Pel Avena Cluster – many native Meranto speakers can also speak Anglish.
- Padori. A direct descendant of Fleet Anglic, widely spoken within the Pador-Aredian cluster and common throughout the rimward half of Far Home Sector.
No polities exist within the Cluster.
The worlds of the Pador-Aredian Cluster are non-aligned, though all look to Pador for leadership and defense. Three systems within the Cluster are directly administered by Pador, including Iasanu, the homeworld of the Temelik. The vessels of the Padoran Grand Fleet patrol the Cluster, regulating interstellar trade, flying the flag for Pador, and maintaining political stability. Pador could easily support a substantially larger navy and military but conservative political interests within its government prevent this.
- Pador is deeply concerned about the danger presented by the Sath on its rimward borders and is increasing its military presence among the systems in the area. Vessels of the Padoran Grand Fleet frequently come into contact with powerful Sath commerce raiders.
- Powerful Sath commerce raiders have been active within the cluster and present a considerable danger to interstellar trade and commerce.
- Pador is considered to be the capital.
History & Background (Dossier)
The Cluster was the location of The Haven and of the Padoran Assembly during the Second and Third Confederations. Many of its worlds became barren during the Dark Age but Pador survived and even flourished, developing a large population and a comprehensive infrastructure.
- The worlds of the Pador-Aredian Cluster have had a small Sath population since the Sath Diaspora of the 55th century. These outcast Sath inhabit isolated communities in remote areas of the Cluster and largely shun contact with humans.
Major Historical Events Timeline
Some of the more important historical events that have affected this area include:
- 2255AD: The Last Armada arrives in the Demon Cluster.
- 2500AD: The monolithic and anti-expansionist Second Confederation is founded. Settlement within the Demon Cluster is restricted to its coreward regions.
- ca 2550AD: There is some limited exploration of the Cluster. First contact between humans and Temelik. An outpost is founded on Pador.
- ca 3000 AD: The Haven, a sanctuary for refugees fleeing the Second Confederation, is active within the Cluster.
- 3359AD: 1st Civil War begins. The Cluster is considered to be have Expansionist sympathies.
- 3398AD: 8th Civil War begins.
- 3400AD: The Vilani Scare. Fall of the Second Confederation. End of the Civil Wars. The Dissolution period. New Sath expansion in the rimward-trailing quadrant of the Sector.
- 3417AD: The Third Confederation is founded. Limited development within the Subsector.
- 3650AD: Rise of the Padoran Assembly.
- 3730AD: Voyagers arrive and devastate the Subsector. The Dark Age begins.
- 4549AD: Unusual activity in the primary star of the Demon's Eye system. The Voyagers depart and the Dark Age ends. The Renaissance sees the first steps back into space.
- 4590AD: The Sath reemerge into space.
- ca 4900AD: Golden Age. Space travel becomes relatively commonplace.
- ca 4980AD: Foundation of New Frontiers Development Organization.
- ca 5300AD: Final dissolution of New Frontiers Development Organization.
- 5344AD: Scybrian Wars begin. The worlds of the Cluster make huge profits from exporting raw materials and finished goods.
- ca 5450AD: Civil war within the Sath Alliance: the Sath Diaspora. Sath refugees settle in isolated communities within the Cluster.
- 5489AD: Scybrian Wars come to an end.
- 5596AD: The Sath occupy the Hell Worlds.
- 5600AD: Data for the Pador-Aredian Cluster is published in the DSP Listing.
Worlds & Sectors (Astrography)
This astrographic feature is primarily found in the following areas:
World Listing: 1105
References & Contributors / Sources
|This article is missing content for one or more detailed sections. Additional details are required to complete the article. You can help the Traveller Wiki by expanding it.|
- Author & Contributor: Lord (Marquis) and Master Scout Emeritus Adie Alegoric Stewart of the IISS
- Author & Contributor: Lord (Marquis) and Master of Sophontology Maksim-Smelchak of the Ministry of Science