(76-120): Pacification Campaigns were a series of economic, diplomatic, and military operations directed at forcing membership in the Third Imperium upon those worlds which resisted the initial efforts to annex them.
Description / Specifications
Although the campaigns were predominantly economic and diplomatic in nature, the Imperium was not averse to using force when peaceful methods failed. Imperial battlefleets and ground forces rarely failed when brought to bear.
Four specific Pacification Campaigns were undertaken, each by an Archduke of the Imperium:
- (76 to 84): The Vilani Pacification Campaign was targeted at portions of Dagudashaag and Gushemege Sectors.
- (81 to 105): The Ilelish Pacification Campaign was aimed at the Darmine region.
- (97 to 114): The Antarean Pacification Campaign hit much of Lishun Sector.
- (111 to 120): The Sylean Pacification Campaign operated in Delphi and Fornast Sectors
Pacification Campaign Exiles
One unintended result of the Pacification Campaigns was a spate of new settlements inside and outside the Imperium's then-current borders. In a number of cases the Imperium would stabilize its relationship with a newly inducted member world by moving the most ardent Anti-imperialists to another world. The details varied considerably. In some cases the exiles would leave voluntarity, often as part of the membership settlement, with the Imperium providing abundant colony equipment and transportation to an empty world of specified quality -- sometimes a specific named world. In other cases dissidents would be rounded up by the new Imperium-friendly government and turned over to the Imperial Navy for transportation to any world sufficiently far away to ensure that these involuntary exiles would not return to their homeworld.
The amount and quality of equipment given to these exile colonies varied from highly inadequate to adequate, depending on the personality and budget of the Imperial noble in charge of the particular campaign. As a result, some exile colonies decivilized in record times while others grew and flourished.
History and background
By 120, the pacification campaigns ended, and the initial phase of the Imperium's growth came to a close.
Major Historical Events Timeline
This is some of the more important history associated with this event:
- (76 to 120): Pacification Campaigns
References and contributors
- John Harshman, Marc Miller, Loren Wiseman. Library Data (A-M) (Game Designers Workshop, 1981), 10.
- John Harshman, Marc Miller, Loren Wiseman. Library Data (N-Z) (Game Designers Workshop, 1982), 6,12.
- Marc Miller. Imperial Encyclopedia (Game Designers Workshop, 1987), 34.
- Jae Campbell. Encyclopaedia Dagudashaag (Signal-GK, 2017), 276.
- Author & Contributor: Hans Rancke-Madsen