Honorable Order of the Emperor's Guard
The duties of the order are purely ceremonial, and have nothing to do with actually guarding the Emperor -- or much of anything, except attending meetings and banquets. The OEG is overwhelmingly populated by Landed Knights with a minority of Honor and Ceremonial Knights. It, along with the Order of the Knights Imperial, are the two most common orders of Knighthood in the Imperium. 
- The subdivisions of the order are:
- Grand Commander of the Emperor's Guard (G.C.E.G.)
- Knight/Dame Commander of the Emperor's Guard (K.C.E.G. / D.C.E.G.)
- Companion of the Emperor's Guard (C.E.G.)
- Ordinary members of the order are known as Companions (C.E.G.). Most are Landed Knights  - the number of Companions of the order who are Ceremonial or Honour Knights number no more than about 2500. 
- Higher-ranking members of the order are known as Knight Commanders (K.C.E.G.). The order has about 100 Knight Commanders; the Imperial archdukes normally hold this rank, and it is otherwise granted to a few rare individuals the Emperor chooses to honor more highly than with an ordinary knighthood. Knight Commanders of the order are unusual in that their ceremonial and honour knighthoods receive fiefs -- almost the only Imperial knights to do so. These fiefs are quite small, consisting of between a quarter and half a hectare of land, but they are located on Capital and the associated prestige is enormous. 
- The head of the order is the Grand Commander (G.C.E.G.), a position automatically assumed by the Emperor upon assuming the throne. He may resign and appoint a successor, but this has never happened.
- The badge of the order is gules, an apple or -- the emblem of the now-extinct Dukes of Grundsen, from which Empress Nicholle was descended. For this reason, knights of the order are sometimes nicknamed "Apple-Bearers". 
The order was originally limited to the personal retainers of the reigning emperor. Under Empress Nicholle, the rule was broadened to permit any Imperial citizen to be elevated to the order. The order is now widespread, with a diverse membership. Most Landed Knighthoods bestowed by the Emperor are in this order.  Of the much smaller number of Ceremonial and Honour Knighthoods in the order's membership, there are no more than 2,500 in existence at any one time. 
No information yet available.
No information yet available.
|This article is missing content for one or more detailed sections. Additional details are required to complete the article. You can help the Traveller Wiki by expanding it.|
- MegaTraveller Imperial Encyclopedia
- Loren Wiseman. Nobles (Steve Jackson Games, 2005), 22.
- Andrea Vallance, Donald McKinney, Greg Lee, Jim Kundert, Robert Eaglestone. "Nobility in the Third Imperium (Part One)." Imperiallines 7 (2015): 4-7.
- Traveller Wiki Editorial Team
- Author & Contributor: Lord (Marquis) and Master of Sophontology Maksim-Smelchak of the Ministry of Science