Orcrist class System Defense Boat
|Orcrist class System Defense Boat|
Symbol of the Sword Worlds
|Type: HS System Defense Boat|
|Also see||System Defense Boat|
|Architect||Ronald B. Kline, Jr.|
|Canon||No. Unpublished, non-canon fan design.|
|EOS||Still in active service.|
|Origin||Sword Worlds Confederation|
|Passengers||0 High/Med 2 Low|
|Reference||Fan: Ronald B. Kline, Jr.|
|Starships are designed with the Classic Traveller format, using High Guard Shipyard v1.13 written by Andrea Vallance.|
The Orcrist class System Defense Boat is a heavy warship.
It is a vessel with 6-G and J-0 performance with a streamlined needle hull. Packs of these prowl most sword world systems, in system defense squadrons. They are also thrown into fleet operations aboard various fleet assets like the Sword of Vengeance class Battle Tenders.
- It carries very light armament and a defensive suite. They feature very thick armor, a pair of beam laser turrets and a pair of missile turrets.
- It ordinarily carries no subcraft, a ship's vehicle, and drones when needed. They deploy a single squad of marines as a boarding party, equipped with their own 4-ton Air/Raft. This is often replaced with a small Grav APC or the like.
- It has a 18 sophont crew and 8 marines. The crew includes a pilot, navigator, 5 engineers, 1 medic, 2 gunners, and 8 marines. They share 9 staterooms.
- A fictional chit in the style of Fifth Frontier War representing a squadron of Orcrist class SDBs. The color of the counter indicates its allegiance to the Sword Worlds Confederation.
General Description & Deck Plans
No information yet available.
Basic Ship Characteristics
Following the Imperial Navy and IISS Universal Ship Profile and data, additional information is presented in the format shown here. The small craft factor indicates the number of squadrons (...of ten subcraft) carried on the ship. Tonnage on the universal ship profile is shown in kilotons (...thousands of tons) where necessary. 
|Basic Ship Characteristics |
|1.||Tonnage / Hull||400 tons.|
|4.||Electronics||Model/5 fib ship computer.|
|6.||Armament / Weaponry||The normal weapons fit-out for it is:|
|8.||Craft / Drones||4dton Air/Raft|
|9.||Fuel Treatment|| Fuel Scoops
|10.||Cost|| MCr621.3 |
497.04 in quantity.
|11.||Construction Time||64 weeks to build, 51 weeks in quantity.|
Deployed in great numbers, they rely on their thick hull armor to keep them safe. They specialize in dismantling enemy boats, fighters, and support vessels. Capital ships have less to fear from them, none the less, they have an excellent combat record in preventing successful planetary assaults. In the event of imperial marine landings, they constantly harass and disrupt operations. They continue serving in all sword world planet defense squadrons. Originally inspired sword world naval architects preferred spherical hulls, like the ubiquitous Broadsword class Mercenary Cruisers. Once meson spinal mounts became the premiere weapons for killing capital ships, it became necessary to switch to a better hull configuration. Needle/wedge hull forms proved more survivable in combat. The lower technology sword world designs have so few advantages against the imperial fleet, every advantage counts.
Class Naming Practice/s & Peculiarities
Vessel Peculiarities: No information yet available.
Class Naming Practice/s: No information yet available.
Selected Variant Types & Classes
- Type HS class System Defense Boat
- Orcrist class System Defense Boat
|This article has Metadata|
|This article is missing content for one or more detailed sections. Additional details are required to complete the article. You can help the Traveller Wiki by expanding it.|
- Marc Miller, Frank Chadwick, John Harshman. High Guard (Game Designers Workshop, 1980), 20-37. (Design Sequence Used)
- Traveller Wiki Editorial Team
- Author & Contributor: Lord (Marquis), Captain, and Lead Naval Architect Ronald B. Kline, Jr. of the Imperial Navy
- Author & Contributor: Lord (Marquis) and Master of Sophontology Maksim-Smelchak of the Ministry of Science