A Naval Base is a port facility for the support, maintenance, repair, and refit of military naval vessels.
- It is a facility.
- This articles describes Imperial Naval bases.
- Naval bases can be situated as lowports on a planet's surface (only capable of servicing smaller craft), but most are space stations located in open space or a geostationary orbit around a planet.
- Some naval bases contain both low and high ports.
The naval base is not a tactical unit. It has no battle forces of its own, and does not exert control even over local system defense boats (which are under a separate command).
- The naval base is responsible for supporting the fleet and keeping it in optimum condition for its combat missions.
A naval base has several distinct parts to it; each part helps in the accomplishment of the overall mission of the base.
The typical naval base is composed of:
- An administrative headquarters
- A maintenance section
- An orbital berthing area
- A surface berthing area
|Administrative Headquarters||The administrative headquarters handles the day-to-day operations of the base, as well as its paperwork (including the allocation of funds, distribution of personnel, and disbursement of maintenance and repair contracts).|
|Maintenance Areas||Maintenance sections at naval bases vary from base to base. Where such a section would be redundant to the local starport shipyard, it is small, and repairs or alterations are carried out under contract to the local facility. Where adequate facilities do not exist, the naval base itself may have a large maintenance section capable of extensive repairs and refits. Maintenance is performed on the ships on the world surface or in orbit as necessary.|
|Orbital Berthing Areas||Orbital berthing areas provide locations for larger vesels to lay over, whether for a day or for months. All berthing areas include provisions for refueling from storage tanks or fuel lighters.|
|Surface Berthing Areas||Surface Berthing areas provide locations for smaller vessels to lay over, whether for a day or for months. Planetary surface facilities are generally provided for vessels of 1,000 tons or less; orbital facilities handle larger ships.|
Naval bases have long been an important and vital part of the Imperium's ability to project force over interstellar distances.
Worlds & Sectors (Astrography)
While many naval bases are said to be located on a world, it is more accurate in many cases to say that naval bases, or parts of naval bases, are located at the solar system associated with a world since orbital or deep space installations are often a part of or the entirety of a naval base.
World Listing: 1105
There are known bases of this type located in the following systems and on the following worlds:
References & Contributors (Sources)
- Classic Traveller Grand Fleet
- Classic Traveller Supplement 11 Library Data (N-Z)
- Classic Traveller The Traveller Book
- Marc Miller. Marc Miller's Traveller (Imperium Games, 1996), 186.
- Mongoose Traveller Sector Fleet
- Traveller Wiki Editorial Team
- Author & Contributor: Lord (Marquis) and Master of Sophontology Maksim-Smelchak of the Ministry of Science