Mongoose class Close Escort
|Mongoose class Close Escort|
Distant Fringe vessel.
|Type: CE Close Escort|
|Also see||Close Escort|
|Architect||Ronald B. Kline, Jr.|
|Canon||No. Unpublished, non-canon fan design.|
|Origin||Sudi Verisian Navy|
|Passengers||0 High/Med 0 Low|
|Reference||Fan: Ronald B. Kline, Jr.|
|Starships are designed with the Classic Traveller format, using High Guard Shipyard v1.13 written by Andrea Vallance.|
The Mongoose class Close Escort is a warship.
- It is a military ship and a Close Escort.
- Please also see AAB article: Ships of the Distant Fringe.
- Please also see AAB article: Warships of the Distant Fringe.
No information yet available.
General Description & Deck Plans
No information yet available.
Basic Ship Characteristics
Following the Imperial Navy and IISS Universal Ship Profile and data, additional information is presented in the format shown here. The small craft factor indicates the number of squadrons (...of ten subcraft) carried on the ship. Tonnage on the universal ship profile is shown in kilotons (...thousands of tons) where necessary. 
|Basic Ship Characteristics |
|1.||Tonnage / Hull|| The Mongoose class is constructed using a 300 Ton hull built in a Flattened Sphere configuration. The hull is fully streamlined, giving good atmospheric performance that is further enhanced by its onboard gravitic systems.
|2.||Crew|| 10 personnel.
There are 5 staterooms. All quarters are double occupancy.
|3.||Performance|| The vessel mounts a Jump-2 drive, a Maneuver-5 drive, and a Power Plant-5, giving performance of Jump-2 and 5-G acceleration. The ship has an agility rating of 1 and an emergency agility of 5. The internal fuel tankage is sufficient for one Jump-2 and gives the power plant 4 weeks duration.
|4.||Electronics|| Adjacent to the bridge is a model/6fib computer: no backup computer is installed.
|6.||Armament||The normal weapons fit-out for a Mongoose class is:|
|7.||Defenses|| The hull is plated, structurally reinforced, and built with secure bulkheads and compartments that give it a High Guard armor rating of 9.
|8.||Craft||The vessel carries no subcraft.|
|9.||Fuel Treatment||The vessel has internal fuel tankage of 75 Tons.|
|10.||Cost|| The basic cost of the vessel is MCr384.622
|11.||Construction Time|| 56 weeks (13 months) as standard.
|12.||Comments||Standard cargo capacity amounts to 5 Tons. The cargo hold can be sealed and has independent life support and environmental systems.|
Distant Fringe Vessels
The Distant Fringe is said to be a far spinward-rimward area inhabited by colonists and refugees originating on Terra. The region is extremely isolated, separated from the rest of Charted Space by vast, almost uncrossable rifts that were once broached by a system of calibration Points and the use of tankers. Those few academics within Charted Space who have found references to the Distant Fringe regard it as little more than a tall tale. Likewise, many of the inhabitants of the Distant Fringe believe the existence of Charted Space to be mythical.
Vessels originating within the Distant Fringe are very rarely encountered outside of the region. However, misjumps do occur and anomalies with bizarre spacetime and Jumpspace effects exist: as such, craft of this type are not entirely unknown within Charted Space.
Class Naming Practice/s & Peculiarities
Each vessel within the class is named by the government of the state that produces it. They generally draw on traditional naming protocols and it is not uncommon for a historical class name to be reused.
- Individual vessels within the class are issued specific serial numbers and transponder codes.
- Naming a ship is considered a serious affair and is generally accompanied by a traditional ceremony, usually pouring a local beverage over the bows of the craft. Starfarers tend to be superstitious folk and a ship with a frivolous name is considered "unlucky".
Selected Variant Types & Classes
- Type CE class Close Escort
- Mongoose class Close Escort
|This article has Metadata|
|This article is missing content for one or more detailed sections. Additional details are required to complete the article. You can help the Traveller Wiki by expanding it.|
- Marc Miller, Frank Chadwick, John Harshman. High Guard (Game Designers Workshop, 1980), 20-37. (Design Sequence Used)
- Traveller Wiki Editorial Team
- Author & Contributor: Lord (Marquis), Captain, and Lead Naval Architect Ronald B. Kline, Jr. of the Imperial Navy
- Author & Contributor: Lord (Marquis) and Master Scout Emeritus Adie Alegoric Stewart of the IISS
- Author & Contributor: Lord (Marquis) and Master of Sophontology Maksim-Smelchak of the Ministry of Science