- It is part of Charted Space.
- 1 Astronavigational Codes
- 2 Description (Specifications)
- 3 History & Background (Dossier)
- 3.1 Demographic Data Table: 1105
- 3.2 Demo-linguistics: 1116
- 3.3 Polity Culture: 1105
- 3.4 Internal Politics: 1105
- 3.5 Political Factions: 1105
- 3.6 Interstellar Relations: 1105
- 3.7 Allies: 1105
- 3.8 Neutral States: 1105
- 3.9 Enemies: 1105
- 3.10 Technology & Trade (Economy)
- 3.11 Technology Timeline: 1105
- 3.12 Interstellar Commerce: 1105
- 3.13 Military & Intelligence (Force Projection)
- 3.14 A. Ground Forces: 1105
- 3.15 B. Naval Forces: 1105
- 3.16 C. Special Forces: 1105
- 3.17 D. Paramilitary Forces: 1105
- 3.18 E. Intelligence Agencies: 1105
- 4 Worlds & Sectors (Astrography)
- 5 References & Contributors (Sources)
|Mercantile Concord||Pre-Imperial||Bs||No standard code||None|
|Mercantile Concord||1st Survey (300)||Bs||2-ltr code||None|
|Mercantile Concord||2nd Survey (1065)||BlSo||4-ltr code||None|
The Mercantile Concord was founded by Solomani settlers nearly 3,000 years ago. They have retained a unique culture and have become increasingly isolationist, xenophobic, and militaristic as their pocket empire crumbles internally and is increasingly threatened externally.
The Mercantile Concord is a loose alliance of system states that share common goals and culture. Their economic goals are often at odds with one and other and there is continuous in-fighting among the member states over trade and power.
A. Goals: 1116
The sophonts of this polity are driven by several motivations and goals:
- Maintain their ethnic ( Solomani ) purity.
- Stop K'Kree expansion
- Trade with other Human polities but only on their terms.
- Mutual protection among member systems.
B. Symbols: 1116
- National Leader: Unknown
- Leadership Home: Unknown
- National Emblem: Unknown
- National Anthem: Unknown
- National Flag: Unknown
- National Architecture: Classic period Shan
- National Executive: Unknown
- National Legislature: Unknown
- National Judiciary: Unknown
- National Currency: Unknown
- National Color: Unknown
- National Creature: Unknown
- National Founder: Unknown
- National Language: Changlic
- National Literature: Unknown
- National Motto: Unknown
- National Sport: Unknown
C. Polity Quick Facts: 1116
The following overview is available of this polity:
- Astrography: This polity is located in 2 sectors.
- Astrography: It is located trailing of the Third imperium.
- Astrography: This polity contains 37 world/s and system/s.
- Capital: The capital of this polity is, nominally, at Pu Chou (world).
- Population: This polity is estimated to have a population of 2559.816 (million).
- Population: The most numerous race/s of this polity are: Solomani
- Economy: The economic output (gross product) of this polity is estimated at TBD (BCr).
- Economy: The per capita earning of inhabitants in this polity is estimated at TBD (Cr).
- Economy: The resources available in this polity are estimated at TBD (RU).
- Economy: The shipyard capacity of this polity is estimated at 2.75 (Mtons)
- Economy: Military shipyard construction of this polity is estimated at .95 (Mtons)
- Economy: The Starport Authority population is estimated at ???(employees).
- Military: The armed forces of this polity are estimated at 49.78 million (BEs).
- Technology: The average technology level of this polity is estimated at TL-9.
- Technology: The highest attainable technology level of this polity is estimated at TL-12.
- Technology: Technology level research in this polity is working towards mastering TL-13.
The founders of the Mercantile Concord, along with those of the Old Worlds, left Terra and Solomani space -2390 (2112 Solomani calendar). They arrived in their present location about -2380 (2122) establishing their first small colony on Shan (world). The founders of the Mercantile Concord were one of these two groups. Their political view was gaining separatist status and independence from what they saw as the growing power of the Terran and Solomani government.
Demographic Data Table: 1105
Significant populations of the following sophont races exist within this polity:
- Solomani (99%+)
Polity Culture: 1105
The Mercantile Concord traces its roots to Terran Asian cultures. Systems within the Mercantile Concord have begun in recent decades to attract archeological and related academic field's attention due to their millennia long civilizations. Ruins, antiquities, and related items of interest abound on many Mercantile system worlds. The relative isolation of the Mercantile Concord until recently has left most of these untouched and uncatalogued.
Accessibility to such ruins varies. On some worlds, like Shen (world) this is virtually unrestricted. On others like Shan (world), one of the oldest and first settled, access is highly restricted without government approval and paying "fees."
Internal Politics: 1105
The Mercantile Concord operates in a continuing state of political flux. While the member systems will quickly unite against an external threat, internally they are prone to intrigue, warfare, and disunity.
Political Factions: 1105
Each member system forms a political faction. Alliances between member systems occur and dissolve regularly as the political and economic fortunes of each changes.
Interstellar Relations: 1105
This polity conducts diplomacy and maintains active relations with the following other polities:
Positive relations exist with the following other polities:
Neutral States: 1105
Neutral relations exist with the following other polities:
- Free and Holy Federation of Amil
- Katowice Conquest
- Mische Conglomerate
- Munsonian Principality
- Viyard Concourse
Negative relations exist with the following other polities:
E. Military: 1105
The military of this polity is balkanized and controlled by member worlds / systems rather than a central command. An exception is a volunteer, partially mercenary corps stationed on Pu Chou (world) specifically for use outside the Concord. Naval forces fall under a unified command directed from Pu Chou (world).
Technology & Trade (Economy)
Technology levels range from TL–6 to TL–12. Many of the Mercantile Concord's systems have been depleted of resources over millennia of occupation. Systems such as Shen (world), Shan (world), Ho Liu (world), or Yu-Chhiang (world) are mere ghosts of their former richness and glory. Others let their abundance of resources lull them into complacent idleness such as Pa Kua (world) and Pi (world).
Technology Timeline: 1105
A rough timeline of technological achievement is as follows:
- The Mercantile Concord has not actively pursued any significant advancement in technology beyond what they arrived with initially, until very recently. The threat of K'Kree invasion, and the rise of new military and political powers in their portion of the galactic arm has forced them to start developing better technology.
Interstellar Commerce: 1105
The following businesses operate out of or in this polity:
Corporation Listing: 1105
The following businesses operate out of or in this polity:
- Heng-O Heavy industries. Produces TL 10 starships and naval vessels along with other industrial machinery and equipment.
Calendar & Timekeeping (Chronology)
The Mercantile Concord uses the Solomani calendar exclusively.
Military & Intelligence (Force Projection)
The Mercantile Concord is estimated to have 205 million personnel in their armed forces, total.
A. Ground Forces: 1105
The Mercantile Concord has no unified army or ground forces. Instead, each member system / world maintains their own distinct ground force military.
- 153 divisions are known to exist. There is no standard organization in use. Overall manpower in these is approximately 3.8 million.
- Total active ground military forces amount to approximately 24.3 million.
- Equipment varies and is between TL 8 and 12. Known equipment levels are:
- 52 divisions have TL 8
- 28 divisions have TL 9
- 44 divisions have TL 10
- 21 divisions have TL 11
- 8 divisions have TL 12
- Reserves amount to approximately 36.9 million.
- Reserve forces are equipped at TL 7 to 9.
The closest the Concord comes to a unified force is a volunteer expeditionary corps based on Pu Chou (world) that is used outside Mercantile Concord space for offensive and expeditionary operations. This force has a high percentage of non-Mercantile Concord foreigners and mercenaries in it and will take most applicants with limited screening so long as they are human or human derivative. This corps has an approximate strength of 75,000 organized as three divisions. It is equipped at TL 11.
The Mercantile Concord maintains two major naval construction yards and bases on:
- Kung-Sang (world)
- Heng-o (world)
- These have a combined capacity of 750,000 tons per year and construct TL 10 to 12 ships of less than 100,000 tons for member systems.
- Has an estimated 5,000 to 10,000 buffered planetoid monitors of varying design and size. The Mercantile Concord has been building these for more than two millennia.
- Non-jump capable with varying maneuver speeds and armament. They vary in size but typically range between 50 and 75,000 tons with some being much larger.
- The number in service is a fraction of the total available and is thought to tend towards the lower end of the estimated number available.
- There will minimally be 1 or 2 in any Mercantile controlled system and possibly as many as 100+ in more important systems.
- Many have partial or skeleton crews aboard and are in reserve.
- Age varies. Some have been in service for centuries or longer with upgrades.
- Abandoned planetoid monitors exist in large numbers, equaling or exceeding the number in service. These are typically 300+ years old and in various states of disrepair and often stripped of installed equipment to some degree.
- The Sang yards produce the following ship types:
- The Heng-O yards produce the following ship types:
- Heng-O also licenses production of several smaller designs to other Mercantile worlds. These include:
- The Heng-O Type 24 class Destroyer 7,500 tons, TL 11. Manufactured on Heng-O and Chin Shan. Both yards build 3 per year.
- The Heng-O Type 22 class Destroyer 6,000 tons, TL 10. Manufactured on Chou, Ju-i, and Fu-Hsi. Each yard builds 1 per year.
- The Heng-O class Small Escort 1,200 tons, TL 10. Manufactured on Heng-O, Fu-Hsi, Chou, Ju-i, Huan, and Chin Shan. Each yard builds 1 or 2 per year.
- Chin manufactures the Chin class Auxiliary Merchant of 10,000 tons. It is designed to allow some cargo bay space to be converted to hold 100 ton bays. 1 manufactured per 5 years.
Total naval personal strength is approximately 8.9 million.
The Mercantile Concord Navy currently consists of 3 fleets and 11 independent squadrons of jump capable ships. There are 37 system defense flotillas formed around a core of buffered asteroid monitors supported by a wide variety of system defense ships.
C. Special Forces: 1105
No information yet available.
D. Paramilitary Forces: 1105
The Mercantile Concord has approximately 12.5 Mtons of merchant shipping, comprising about 4,200 ships ranging in size from 200 to 5,000 tons. There are 12 known merchant ships of greater than 10,000 tons in service. 10 of these are Chin class Auxiliary Merchant cruisers.
E. Intelligence Agencies: 1105
- While there is no formal overarching intelligence agency within the Mercantile Concord, their long existence within their region of space has allowed them to establish a semi-formal system of informants, spies, and other connections on most worlds within approximately 15 to 20 parsec of their location that feeds information back to them.
- Their use of numerous small merchant ships for trade is also a source of information as these regularly trade in intelligence and intelligence gathering for the Concord.
- There is a scout / reconnaissance base on Chu-jung (world) set up specifically to monitor the Lords of Thunder and K'Kree activity. Chu-jung produces small ships for this purpose locally. This service has an approximate strength of 100,000 total drawn from throughout the Mercantile Concord and includes numerous foreign mercenaries. It, singularly, recruits non-human / humanoids with the exception of K'kree.
Worlds & Sectors (Astrography)
World Listing: 1105
References & Contributors (Sources)
|This article is missing content for one or more detailed sections. Additional details are required to complete the article. You can help the Traveller Wiki by expanding it.|
- Gateway to Destiny
- Traveller Wiki Editorial Team
- Author & Contributor: Enoki
- Author & Contributor: Lord (Marquis) and Master of Sophontology Maksim-Smelchak of the Ministry of Science