A Maser Communicator is a technological device for sending and receiving signals and messages.
- It is a type of Communications Equipment.
Maser is an acronym for "microwave amplification by stimulated emission of radiation". A maser communicator is an electromagnetic (microwave) communicator in which the energy source is a magnetron whose beam is modulated for voice, video, or data communication over wide information bandwidths.
- A maser communicator is an Active device.
- Maser communicators transmit a tight beam signal.
- A maser communicator is a line of sight device.
- The transmitter must know the precise position of the receiver in order to conduct communications.
- Maser communicators receive transmissions via a microwave-sensitive receiving array.
History & Background / Dossier
Maser Communicators are available from TL-8 onwards.
The power of a maser communicator determines its effective broadcast range – the distance to which a signal beam will carry before it is sufficiently degraded to be indistinguishable from natural background noise and static.
- Small portable maser communicators are available. They are usually equipped with tripods or other stablization gear.
- Larger maser communicator systems may be fitted aboard vehicles and spacecraft, with effective beam transmission ranges measured in millions or even billions of km.
A maser communicator is limited by realspace physics. The microwave beam that the device produces takes time to reach its target.
- A beam travels at approximately 300,000 km per second. For example, a microwave communicator attempting to conduct a conversation with a target at a distance of 6 million km will have a signal delay of 20 seconds (20 seconds for the microwave beam to reach the target). Any reply will also take 20 seconds to travel back.
References & Contributors / Sources
- MegaTraveller Referee's Manual, (Game Designers Workshop 1987)
- Traveller The New Era: Fire, Fusion, & Steel, (Game Designers Workshop 1994)
- T5 Core Rules, Far Future Enterprises 2013
- Traveller Wiki Editorial Team
- Author & Contributor: Lord (Marquis) and Master Scout Emeritus Adie Alegoric Stewart of the IISS
- Author & Contributor: Lord (Marquis) and Master of Sophontology Maksim-Smelchak of the Ministry of Science