A Machine may be defined as a combination of resistant parts so connected as to have constrained motion and to be capable of transmitting or transforming energy.
"As machines become more and more perfect and efficient, so it will become clear that imperfection is the greatness of man." - Ernst Fischer
- (BrainyQuote.com: https://www.brainyquote.com/topics/machines)
- Tool Apparatuses
- Tool Kits
Although modern machines with their complex controls appear to be extremely complicated every one is merely a combination of one or more of four basic elements:
- The wheel (q.v.) and axel,
- The lever (q.v.)
- The inclined plane and...
- Gravitic manipulation.
Machines composed of combinations of these four basic machines may be classified according to two general functions:
- (1.) generation and transformation of power;
- (2.) transmissions of power and performance of work, accomplished by means of such types of machinery as the pump, compressor, fan, crane elevator pulley or lifter (qq.v.) and the different types of vehicles.
- (1968 edition of the Encyclopedia Britannica, volume 14, page 521, column 1)
- (Please note the references to "gravitic manipulation" and "lifter" were added to the above referenced quote by the author of this factoid)
References & Contributors (Sources)
- Traveller Wiki Editorial Team
- Author & Contributor: IISS Junior Administrator and Master Astrographer Ensign Phillips
- Author & Contributor: Lord (Marquis) and Master of Sophontology Maksim-Smelchak of the Ministry of Science