A Light-year or lightyear is a unit of measurement of length.
- Speed of Travel
- The common abbreviation is ly.
One (Imperial) light-year is equal to:
Following the Solomani Rim War, the Imperium began to move away from Terranocentric metrics, instead adopting a set of universal scales and measures not specifically based on the physical parameters of the primary star system of an enemy state.
One (Solomani) light-year is equal to:
The exact length of the light-year depends on the length of the reference year used in the calculation.
- The light-year is often used to measure distances between stars.
- The preferred unit of measurement for such distances is the parsec.
The light-year was first defined as a unit of distance on Terra prior to the foundation of the Terran Confederation. Although it has continued to change and evolve over time, Technologists found it useful as the concept of the Technology Level and standardized ideas about sophont society development began to take form.
- Marc Miller. Imperial Encyclopedia (Game Designers Workshop, 1987), TBD.
- Frank Chadwick, Dave Nilsen. Fire, Fusion, & Steel (Game Designers Workshop, 1994), 5.
- David Golden, Guy Garnett. Fire, Fusion & Steel (Imperium Games, 1997), 7.
- Marc Miller. T5 Core Rules (Far Future Enterprises, 2013), 615.
- Traveller Wiki Editorial Team
- Author & Contributor: Lord (Marquis) and Master of Sophontology Maksim-Smelchak of the Ministry of Science
- An unpublished factoid written by Marc Miller relating to the Parsec
- An unpublished factoid written by Maksim-Smelchak