|Lundvall/Denebola (Alpha Crucis 0124)|
|Classic Era (1115)|| |
Lundvall is a nonindustrial fluid world.
- A fluid world has an oceanic geography of a liquid other than water such as ammonia, methane, hydrocarbons, or other exotic liquids.
- It requires extensive imports of outside technology to maintain a modern, star-faring society. Having to import most manufactured and high tech goods drives the price up for these items at this world.
- It is a member of the Third Imperium in the Denebola Subsector of Alpha Crucis Sector in the Domain of Sol.
- 1 Description (Astrography & Planetology)
- 2 History & Background (Dossier)
- 3 References & Contributors (Sources)
Description (Astrography & Planetology)
The planet has extremely high velocity winds in its upper atmosphere. These decrease as you near the surface. It does make aerodynamic flight extremely challenging at higher altitudes. Landing starships must be careful to avoid potentially hazardous wind shear. As a result, many ships elect to remain in orbit and send smaller specialized boats into the atmosphere, to land at the sparse surface facilities. The lack of liquid water and/or ice makes refueling nearly impossible on the surface. Most merchants must resort to wilderness refueling at one of the system's gas giants. Lightning strikes are also abundant in this highly charged atmosphere. The planet's magnetosphere is relatively weak and surface radiation levels can spike to dangerous levels for unprotected travelers. There are layers of photochemical aerosols above the methane clouds. Nitrogen and ammonia cycles show the presence of biological systems interacting with the star's ionizing effects. Carbon-12 isotope levels are also traced to the biological and metabolic activities. A toxic byproduct of these pathways are several species which manufacture and release cyanogen compounds.
Lundvall Monostellar System Star Name Hierarchy Color Classification Remarks Lundvall Primary Red M1 V
The surface gravity is 0.64 Gs. The atmospheric pressure is 2.49 atmospheres. The planet has a silicate core and a density of 3.11 g/ml. The climate is frigid and the planet orbits 1.16 AU from its primary. The world is cold enough to kill unprotected humans. The average surface temperature is about 98.29 K (−179 °C, or −290 °F). At this temperature water ice has an extremely low vapor pressure, so the atmosphere is nearly free of water vapor. Because of the planet's relatively low density and the lower resultant mass for its volume, the gravity is surprising lighter than one would expect for a planet this size.
World Geography & Topography
Aside from numerous crater features, there are hydrocarbon lakes. Many of the features were grouped by their albedo factor from early orbiting colonial probes. Flow and geyser formations predominate on vast open planes.
There are native life forms present within this planet's biosphere. The vast majority of these species are part of large colonial formations near geysers. The macroscopic structures are composed of numerous symbiotic microbial colonies. There are very few autonomous, mobile forms, above a few kilograms in mass. Some of the exceptions to this pattern are truly spectacular. These forms are derived from Tacky Mat.
History & Background (Dossier)
Several different imperial, corporate and independent colonial efforts established their own bases and support infrastructures. As a result numerous city-states emerged as independent political entities. Conflicts forced city-state colonies to form shifting alliances, based on geography and shared interests. Eventually, these alliances settled into the current status quo, of several larger free nation states who pursue their own agendas without input from others. The imperial presence is limited to the neutral territories. The starport is extra-territorial and unfettered by the local political climate. The imperial knight is assigned to ensure the port does not fall under the exclusive control of one faction or the other. She uses the TL–8 garrison battalion to guarantee the port's autonomy.
Imperial High (Landed) Nobility
Lundvall has a frontier quality starport.
- A Class-E Starport Facility is a very limited facility.
- This facility has no shipyard and can only perform extremely limited repair work at best.
- This facility has refueling infrastructure and limited refining capabilities. One may purchase unrefined fuel here.
- Starports of this class are usually a Lowport and a Highport would almost never be found.
World Technology Level
- Common Communication technologies for this TL include: Fiber optics, improved telephones, and satellite communication and data networks.
- Common Power Generation technologies for this TL include: Improved geothermal and improved batteries.
- Common Transportation technologies for this TL include:
- Land: Advanced automobiles.
- Water: Triphibians and early artificial gills.
- Air: Improved helicopters and hypersonic jets.
- Space: Space shuttles, early space stations, and improved interplanetary spacecraft.
Lundvall has a Balkanized government.
- No central ruling authority exists. Rival governments compete for control.
- The typical power source of this government is a Balkanization.
- The typical power structure of this government is a Confederation (Anarchy).
- The world is balkanized into a shifting tapestry of nation states.
There is a single battalion available for planetary security.
The planet's chemical composition makes it largely unsuitable for the commercial exploitation of heavy metals. The lithosphere doesn't support that kind of mining. The chemistry of the atmosphere, hydrosphere and biosphere, on the other hand have numerous synthetic reactions which can be exploited for the production of hydrocarbon/petrochemicals, polymers and other industrial chemical manufacturing processes. Large nuclear powered processor plants are the heart of several complexes. Geothermal taps, linked to biologically active geysers and orbital solar arrays are important power sources for habitats, farther from the industrial chemical processing plants.
Raw materials as mentioned above are traded for many other essential materials that this planet lacks. Abundant chemicals are shipped out with contracted, high tonnage haulers operated by mega corp subsidiaries. Occasionally, a free trader will stop by for a load or two. High technology manufactured goods find a ready market here. High quality agricultural products are always welcome. Speculation in the commodities and the fresh water market is lucrative here as well.
The majority of the population is human from early waves of Terran-descended settlers although a number of minor races have been emmigrating to the world in earnest.
The constant threats to survival from the hostile environment are used to justify the extremely high law level. Weapons within the delicate machinery of the colony habitat structures would sentence everyone in the base to death. Therefore all nations agree to limit weapon use among their citizens. However, outside the confines of the colony complexes, individual nation states can pursue whatever forms of violence they wish against each other. As long as the star port and imperial interests are not jeopardized, governments can do what they want. The limiting factor is that military manpower is at a premium here, because the collective population base is so very low. Small militias of part time solders and constabulary are the best most of the nations can do. Conflicts must be kept brief and focused, before manpower leaks back into their civilian occupations. Occasionally, an especially aggressive nation will hire mercenary forces. These are temporary, expensive solutions which more often than not, win the day and lose the war. Military victory, coupled with indebtedness and bankruptcy have reduced several former nations to ruins.
No information yet available.
No information yet available.
References & Contributors (Sources)
|This article is missing content for one or more detailed sections. Additional details are required to complete the article. You can help the Traveller Wiki by expanding it.|
- Classic Traveller Alien Module 7: Hiver (named but further data)
- Classic Traveller Atlas of the Imperium
- MegaTraveller Alien - Vilani & Vargr (dot map provided)
- MegaTraveller Alien - Solomani & Aslan (dot map provided)
- Mongoose Traveller: Solomani
- External Link: AB's Traveller Page (defunct)
- Author & Contributor: Lord (Marquis) and Master of Sophontology Maksim-Smelchak of the Ministry of Science