Long-Range Pattern Starship
Long-Range Pattern Starship: A designation applied to starships within the Distant Fringe region: vessels fitted with additional permanent internal hydrogen fuel tanks.
Long-range vessels typically carry adequate fuel to perform two (or more) jumps and to support the power plant for up to six weeks. Conventional vessels, conversely, carry only enough fuel to perform a single jump. Drop-tanks or collapsible fuel tanks may be carried by long-range ships (making them X-Range vessels) to further increase their range.
Long-Range vessels are less efficient in terms of revenue generated per ton of displacement volume. A significant part of their internal volume is dedicated to fuel storage rather than being available as useable cargo storage. Their primary use is to bridge 3 parsec (or greater) gaps, effectively circumventing the jump-2 limitation on DeVoss Drives.
- Many military and quasi-military starships are constructed as Long-Range vessels.
- The Last Armada was made up of long-range vessels.
- See also Distant Fringe Class A Starports, Ships of the Distant Fringe.
|This article is missing content for one or more detailed sections. Additional details are required to complete the article. You can help the Traveller Wiki by expanding it.|
- Author & Contributor: Lord (Marquis) and Master Scout Emeritus Adie Alegoric Stewart of the IISS
- Author & Contributor: Lord (Marquis), Captain, and Lead Naval Architect Ronald B. Kline, Jr. of the Imperial Navy
- Author & Contributor: Lord (Marquis) and Master of Sophontology Maksim-Smelchak of the Ministry of Science