- 1 Description (Specifications)
- 2 Physical Astrography
- 3 Political Astrography
- 4 History & Background (Dossier)
- 5 References & Contributors / Sources
The Krayal Trace is named for the yellow-white subgiant primary star of the Krayal system. It straddles the border between Xelan and Ras Tennol Subsectors in Far Home Sector. Its worlds are accessible by conventional jump-1 vessels and it links to the Star Lane network through the New Border Star Lane. The Trace has been inhabited for millennia and has a rich and complex history and many ancient traditions.
Other Clusters & Traces
Other Astrographic Features
- The Cauldron Nebula, lying within Cauldron Sector, some 86 parsecs to coreward-trailing, can be seen as a star-studded luminous region in night-time skies from all of the worlds of the Cluster.
- Basilisk's Eye (1723 Tarchon Sector). The extremely luminous white supergiant star, lying around 122 parsecs to coreward-trailing, can be clearly seen from all of the worlds of the Cluster.
- Demon's Eye (1621 Far Home Sector). The intensely luminous blue supergiant star lying approximately 13 parsec to spinward-rimward at its closest point, can be clearly seen from all of the worlds of the Trace even in daylight.
The Krayal Trace lies within the following Subsectors:
- Arodir Subsector: Subsector C of Far Home Sector.
- Ras Tennol Subsector: Subsector G of Far Home Sector.
Population: 2.15 billion Sophonts.
- Humaniti (Human races)
- Other Non-Human Races:
- Hoppers: an estimated 82.778 million "Distant" Hoppers (3.85% of the population), typically within established human communities. Most have never visited Fedan, their ancestral homeworld, and many have developed unique customs and habits.
- Temelik: approximately 125,000, found throughout human-controlled space.
No native sophonts are known to have originated within the Krayal Trace.
The following languages are the most commonly spoken within the Cluster:
- Anglish The language of the Firstworlds. A direct descendant of Fleet Anglic, widely spoken throughout the Distant Fringe. Most people know a few words and phrases of Anglish.
- Orometi. The language of the Protectorate of Leset and the Worlds of The Leader, the language the defunct Empire and a common language throughout the coreward-spinward quadrant of Far Home Sector. It is derived from Bengali and other south asian languages of old Terra.
The Krayal Trace is controlled by the Worlds of The Leader, a non-charismatic dictatorship headed by The Leader. The state is militaristic, aggressive, and much given to bombastic displays of military power. It has an entrenched social elite made up of Fives and is very strongly anti-Mantlerist. Supplies of food and other basic commodities are always in limited supply within the Worlds. The Vigs, the state's feared internal security and intelligence service, has a dark reputation across the Sector.
The Occupied Territories, lying a little way to rimward, are formerly neutral human-dominated systems under military occupation by the Worlds of The Leader. They have been seized in order to gain control of their resources (particularly agricultural Zendar) and take advantage of their strategic position. Each world has had its government dissolved, has had martial law imposed, and is under the control of a military governor. Military occupation forces control the starports, the major population centers and other productive or important regions. An alliance of armed resistance movements are active within the Occupied Territories and enjoy considerable local support: many of these groups have strong pro-Mantlerist leanings.
The Worlds of The Leader has a profound dislike for the Protectorate of Leset and its Mantlerist policies. It has moved a significant percentage of its military forces to the trailing border and is sabre-rattling: the ongoing political upheavals within the Protectorate have emboldened its leadership.
The government of Ras Tennol is alarmed by the expansion of the Worlds of The Leader and its annexation of the Occupied Territories. Pro-Mantlerist groups have gained support and social unrest is increasing. Increasingly extreme anti-Mantlerist political movements have emerged on Ras Tennol itself, advocating support for the Worlds of The Leader.
Urcor, an advanced ice-capped vacuum world serves as the capital. It faces competition for this privelege: Krayal, the namesake of both the Trace and the Subsector, strongly feels that it should serve in this role.
History & Background (Dossier)
The Trace was largely unpopulated until the Renaissance period, when it became a part of the territory of the Empire. When that state fell in the 55th century, the Trace became the League of Krayal, which was itself replaced by the militaristic Worlds of The Leader in the early years of the 56th century.
- A strong social divide exists between wealthy and aristocratic Fives, descended from the original settlers and crew of the Last Armada, and Gens, individuals whose ancestors were grown in GenPods and raised by Hoppers.
The Worlds conducted a military occupation of the region now known as the Occupied Territories at the request of newly installed local regimes, in order to "stamp out the specter of radical Mantlerism". It is likely that these pro-Worlds regimes were deliberately manipulated into power by the actions of the Vigs. The Worlds' occupation of these systems was broadly, though cautiously, supported by the Firstworlds.
Major Historical Events Timeline
Some of the more important historical events that have affected this area include:
- 2255AD: The Last Armada arrives in the Demon Cluster.
- 2500AD: The monolithic and anti-expansionist Second Confederation is founded. The Inselm system was the site of a listening station watching for any signs of a Vilani approach.
- 3359AD: 1st Civil War begins. Refugees from the conflict seek shelter within the Trace.
- 3398AD: 8th Civil War begins.
- 3400AD: The Vilani Scare. Fall of the Second Confederation. End of the Civil Wars. The Dissolution period.
- 3440AD: Third Confederation established. Some limited settlement and development within the Trace.
- 3730AD: Voyagers arrive and devastate the region. The Dark Age begins.
- 4549AD: The Voyagers depart and the Dark Age ends. The Renaissance sees the first steps back into space.
- ca 4900AD: Golden Age. Space travel becomes relatively commonplace.
- ca 4980AD: Formation of New Frontiers Development Organization.
- 4910AD: Tal Varisan Development begins very sporadic commercial exploration of the region.
- 5050AD: Emergence of the Empire.
- ca 5100AD: New Frontiers interests in the region bring it into conflict with the Empire.
- ca 5200AD: Tal Varisan Development merges with the worlds of the Risa Cluster to form the Firstworlds.
- ca 5300AD: New Frontiers ceases to exist as an entity: its former territories gain independence.
- 5344AD: Scybrian Wars begin.
- 5476AD: Revolution within the Empire.
- 5477AD: Collapse of the Empire. Formation of the League of Krayal.
- 5479AD: Formation of the Protectorate of Leset.
- 5489AD: Scybrian Wars come to an end.
- 5517AD: Fall of the League of Krayal. Formation of the Worlds of The Leader.
- 5594AD: The Worlds of The Leader seizes the Occupied Territories.
- 5600AD: Data for the Krayal Trace is published in the DSP Listing.
References & Contributors / Sources
|This article is missing content for one or more detailed sections. Additional details are required to complete the article. You can help the Traveller Wiki by expanding it.|
- Author & Contributor: Lord (Marquis) and Master Scout Emeritus Adie Alegoric Stewart of the IISS
- Author & Contributor: Lord (Marquis) and Master of Sophontology Maksim-Smelchak of the Ministry of Science