A Kilowatt is a unit of power, especially as a measure of the output of a small power plant.
- A kilowatt is one thousand (103) watts.
- The common Imperial abbreviation is Kw. This is generally considered incorrect or "lazy", but the form is widely encountered nonetheless.
- Properly, its nomenclature is kW
- One thousand Kilowatts (106 watts) is equivalent to a Megawatt.
The kilowatt hour is a unit of energy equal to 3.6 Megajoules. If energy is transmitted or used at a constant rate over a period of time, the total energy in kilowatt hours is equal to the power in kilowatts multiplied by the time in hours.
- The common Imperial abbreviation is Kw/h.
- Properly, its nomenclature is kWh, kW⋅h or kW h.
Term Usage Applications
The Kilowatt was first defined as a unit of energy on Terra prior to the foundation of the Terran Confederation. Technologists found the Kilowatt useful as the concept of the Technology Level and standardized ideas about sophont society development began to take form.
No information yet available.
- Marc Miller. Referee's Manual (Game Designers Workshop, 1987), 57.
- Frank Chadwick, Dave Nilsen. Fire, Fusion, & Steel (Game Designers Workshop, 1993), pg 5.
- David Golden, Guy Garnett. Fire, Fusion & Steel (Imperium Games, 1997), pg 7.
- Traveller Wiki Editorial Team
- Author & Contributor: Lord (Marquis) and Master Scout Emeritus Adie Alegoric Stewart of the IISS
- Author & Contributor: Lord (Marquis) and Master of Sophontology Maksim-Smelchak of the Ministry of Science
- An unpublished factoid written by Maksim-Smelchak