|Kedepar/Kedepar (Star's End 1005)|
|Classic Era (1115)|| |
- The world serves as the subsector capital.
- This a "high technology" world with technology achievements at, near, or over technology standards for Charted Space.
- This is a temperate world, with a climate of pleasant, average temperatures, considered to be an ideal or near-ideal environment by many different sophont species.
- It is a member of the Hegemony of Lorean in the Kedepar Subsector of Star's End Sector.
Description (Astrography & Planetology)
No information yet available.
Kedepar Monostellar System Star Name Hierarchy Color Classification Remarks Kedepar Primary Orange K7 V
The Kedepu (correct plural; the singular and adjectival are both "Kedep") are a Human minor race apparently planted here at around the same time as most other human races were transplanted from Terra. Physically, they are not remarkably different from the human norm, averaging 1.5m in height and 85kg mass.
- Mentally, however, they depart radically from the human norm; there is no trace in Kedep society, history, or literature of anything resembling religion or "spirituality", and the incidence of what would be considered mental illness is zero. Additionally, what is considered crime elsewhere is extremely low (less than 5% of the rate on most other worlds), and most of what does occur can be classified as crimes of omission or of negligence. Standardized evaluations of mental ability show that the Kedep are inherently no more (or less) intelligent than most humans, but have a learning rate that is unmatched among all other known human variants.
- The Kedepu consider the acquisition of knowledge, and its exchange for other knowledge, to be the most desirable form of recreation, and their entire society is built around that principle, with most Kedep having held several radically different jobs (to learn different skills), and almost every Kedep either learning a new skill or new science, or teaching it - or, not infrequently, both. When first contacted by the Lorean Hegemony, there was some initial confusion - the Kedepu seemed intrigued by the high-tech goods that the Loreans offered to make available to them, but they didn't seem interested in purchasing them. At the same time, discussions to set up a formal trade agreement were eagerly sought by the Kedepu. When it was finally realized that the Kedepu were less interested in the goods themselves than they were in the manufacturing processes, the Loreans understood the cause of confusion, but expressed some reluctance - what would be the benefit to the Loreans if the Kedepu could make the products on their own. The Kedepu took very little time to come up with a solution that surprised the Loreans with its elegance: The Kedepu would pay the Loreans to assist in Kedep technological development by making available to the Loreans all Kedep research data, plus access to Kedep resources in controlled amounts so as not to disrupt either the Kedep society or environment. Additionally, the Kedepu would join the Lorean Hegemony and remit a small royalty from any trade in knowledge or products deriving from Lorean information to the Hegemony.
- In order to facilitate the technological development of Kedepar, immigration would be permitted; however, the Kedepu had some concerns about becoming dependent on the Loreans for the technology; this would be unacceptable. The Loreans came up with the basic concepts of the solution; the final agreement on immigration and uplift was reached after years of negotiation, and could be summarized thus:
- The population of non-Kedep on Kedepar would be restricted to no more than 35% of the total planetary population.
- Mandatory segregation not based strictly on the need for dissimilar physical environments would be absolutely prohibited.
- All immigrants would undergo psychological screening; those deemed to have an unhealthy level of xenophobia would be barred from Kedepar (the Kedepu were going to hold out for no xenophobia at all; a discussion and examination of non-Kedep psychology revealed that this was simply unrealistic).
- No technology would be introduced to Kedepar that the Kedepu could not adequately maintain with their existing technological base. As part of the introduction of technology to Kedepar, an educational program would be instituted to integrate the new technology into Kedep society. A technology would not be deemed integrated until the Kedepu could produce it without assistance from the Loreans.
- Kedepar remains a shining example of what cooperation can achieve; it is expected that in the near future, a new agreement will be negotiated to allow Kedepar to begin uplifting of other planets on the same terms as their uplift.
History & Background (Dossier)
- Kedepar (Kedepar/Star's End 1005)
- C8659A9-D Hi Cp 411
- Allegiance: Julian Prot. (Lorean Hegem.)
- Population Breakdown: 15% Human non-Kedep, 15% Vargr, 65% Kedep (Human native minor race), 5% All other
References & Contributors (Sources)
|This article is incomplete meaning it lacks important features, structure, or content. More work needs to be done to make this a good article. This is step 4. in the article refinement process.
- Classic Traveller Alien Module 2: K'kree (named but no further data)
- MegaTraveller Vilani & Vargr (dot map provided)
- External Link: Kedepar WriteUp on Zhodani Base
- Author & Contributor: Jeff Zeitlin (generated data)
- Author & Contributor: Lord and Master of Sophontology (Marquis) Maksim-Smelchak of the Ministry of Science