A Battle Rider is a non-jump capable ship intended to stand in the line of battle in space combat and carried interstellar by a battle tender.
- The Supraclass designation is also known as Ship Mission, Ship Mission Code, Mission, or Ship Hull Designation.
- It is a starship supraclass.
- Starship User Types
- Advanced Ship Classifications
- Basic Ship Classifications
- Ships by Function
- Speed of Travel
No information yet available.
Strategy & Tactics (Doctrine)
- The battle rider concept involves a large jump-capable tender carrying a complete Battle Squadron (BatRon) of two to ten heavily armed and armoured battle riders.
- The opposite concept is the battleship, a large jump-capable ship which carries the jump drives and fuel tanks internally.
The battle tender, so integral to the concept of the battle rider, is little more than a large dispersed structure (up to a million tons) with jump drives, fuel tanks and basic controls. By dispensing with the need for jump drives and jump fuel tanks on each of the riders, each becomes ton for ton more heavily armed and armoured. The concept does not allow for the possibility of a superior force; no matter how good a rider is, if it meets a superior adversary, it is placed in a position of winning or dying. Retreat is nearly impossible without losses.
It is generally held that, in any meeting between a battleship and a battle rider of equal tonnage, the battle rider will triumph.
Battle Riders typically serve the following roles:
|TBD Supraclass Archetypes|
In setpiece warfare, a force of Riders can be difficult to defeat. But in the fluid warfare that has typified operations against the Zhodani and Virus, Riders have been a serious washout. Under current naval doctrine, Riders are always used in the strategic defensive role, fortifying refueling sources within the Regency Frontier and interface worlds in a band 3 parsecs into the safe. Some Rider squadrons are deployed into regions Wildside adjacent to the Regency, along with a handful of Scapegoats, laying in ambush of Vampireships. rider will triumph.
Selected Variant Types & Classes
Warship - Battle Rider:
Ship Summary List
Some of the most commonly used vessels in this role or these roles include:
|This article is missing content for one or more detailed sections. Additional details are required to complete the article. You can help the Traveller Wiki by expanding it.|
- Supplement 8 Library Data (A-M)
- EXTERNAL LINK: Grey Matter by Peter Gray
- Traveller Wiki Editorial Team
- Author & Contributor: Lord (Marquis) and Master of Sophontology Maksim-Smelchak of the Ministry of Science