- Such points often consist of a group of ice asteroids and fuel refining facilities.
- Jump Bridge
Jump bridges are vital to interstellar trade since the slower less capable jump ships travel with much greater economy and significantly less expensive fuel use.
They are often found in the far systems of many world-systems, often in nebulae, oorts, or near collections of icy asteroids. Most include at least a basic fuel refinery, tankage, and a deep space station offering comforts and amenities. Some Terrans call them "truck stops for starships." There was a saying on Old Terra that the "Slow boat to China is the only sure way." Jump Drives can be relied upon, but misjumps still occur. However, regardless of general jump drive reliability, the greatest economies of scale (...and profits) are still found with the venerable J-1 jump drive. Travellers and traders still enjoy the J-1 drive and the "slow boat to China."
Jump bridges allow J-1's to traverse longer jumps... for a price. They serve much the same function for starships as canals once did for maritime ships on many oceanic worlds.
Jump Bridge Methods
Some of the most successful jump bridge methods include:
- Calibration Points
- Deep Space Fuel Caches (expedient solution to any distance)
- Deep Space Station Waypoint (for rifts)
- Far System Fuel Refinery (near nebulae or icy asteroids)
- Jump Tanker service
- Naturally occurring stars located across a rift in strategic locations.
- Space Fuelers (Far System Fuel Miners)
As soon as J-2 jump drives first appeared, enterprising minds began to see the potential for jump bridges. During the Interstellar Wars, Terrans quickly saw the military value in establishing deep space fuel caches to achieve strategic maneuver. When the Sirius Gap was first bridged, it came as a tremendous surprise to the Vilani.
Notable Jump Bridges
Some of the better known jump bridges located within Charted Space include:
J-2 Deneb Sector Jump Bridges
Pretoria Subsector in Deneb Sector operates two bridges that connect the subsector capital, Pretoria (Deneb 0406) with two jump-1 mains, giving free traders and other commercial ships access to 33 worlds.
J-3 Sirius Gap Jump Bridge
J-4 Gn'hk'r Jump Bridge
J-5 Trans-rift Hierate Route
- It is sometimes also referred to as the Verge Connector, or the Great Rift Crossing.
- This jump bridge opened up Zhodani Space to Aslan Ihatei waves.
- Jason Kemp. "Delta Quadrant of the Empty Quarter Sector; Yashodhan Subsector." Stellar Reaches 02 (2005): 9.
- Alvin Plummer. "The Preferred Worlds of the Empty Quarter, 993 Imperial." Stellar Reaches 21 (2013): 62.
- Mongoose Traveller: Deneb Sector
- Traveller Wiki Editorial Team
- Author & Contributor: Lord (Marquis) and Master of Sophontology Maksim-Smelchak of the Ministry of Science