|Homeworld||Jonkeer (Deneb 1324)|
|Reference||"Deneb." The Travellers' Digest 19 26-27.|
The Jonkeereen are a technologically sophisticated sophont species.
The average Jonkeerin is tall, thin, and dark-skinned, much like human desert dwellers throughout space. They are a Variant Human Race or human chimera.
Physiology & Environment (Ecology)
Thorough modifications have moved the Jonkeereen far from the human norm, however. A combination of genetic engineering and adaptive surgery aided the first Jonkeereen; later generations bred true to the Ministry's specifications.
The Jonkeerin's adaptations are many. Protective membranes shield his eyes and ears from windblown sand; changes to his metabolism allow survival on the scant resources of arid plains. A highly efficient perspiration system and a large body surface area work to cool him in temperatures often exceeding 50°C — far above human tolerance. His dark complexion shields him from the radiation of Jonkeer's lurid red sun.
History & Background (Dossier)
The Jonkeereen project began in 528, and in 600 the first three generations of Jonkeereen arrived on Jonkeer, requiring little support. In 700 the Ministry began transplanting Jonkeereen to desert worlds throughout the Domain of Deneb. In 1083 Jonkeer had its first uprising over forced transplanting, with many tribes united under a Chief Tabali. In 1101 Jonkeer saw its second uprising, this time over a possible retrovirus. Imperial Marines killed Tabali and eventually SuSAG negotiated an end to the uprising.
The project's goal was the creation of a human subspecies perfectly suited to life in a hostile desert environment. Begun five centuries ago, the project has proven successful: over 400 million enhanced humans inhabit Jonkeer, and millions more live on desert planets throughout the Domain of Deneb and beyond.
Culture & Society
While the Jonkeereen have changed in form, their culture has also changed. The Jonkeerin lifestyle is austere, and many visitors find the local customs harsh.
- Both conservatism and cooperation are basic traits of the Jonkeerin mindset.
- Because they are no longer fully human, Jonkeereen are typically aloof, emotionally distant from their cousins.
- The local scout base is engaged in long-term observations of the Jonkeerin culture and its departure from human standards.
Worlds & Sectors (Astrography)
- Deneb Sector
- Gushemege Sector
- Spinward Marches Sector
The homeworld of this race (sophontic species) is:
World Listing: 1105
References & Contributors (Sources)
- Gary L. Thomas, Joe Fugate. "Deneb." The Travellers' Digest 19 (1990): 26-27.
- Rob Caswell. "Jonkereen." MegaTraveller Journal 3 (1992): 90-95.
- Martin Dougherty, Hunter Gordon. Gateway to Destiny (QuikLink Interactive, 2004), 20.
- Robert Eaglestone. Deneb Sector (Mongoose Publishing, 2012), 55-56.
- EXTERNAL LINK: Freelance Traveller by Author & Contributor: Shannon Appelcline
- Traveller Wiki Editorial Team
- Author & Contributor: Lord (Marquis) and Master of Sophontology Maksim-Smelchak of the Ministry of Science