Jae Tellona (world)
|Army size (BEs)||2|
|World Trade Number||3.5|
|Trade Volume (MCr/year)||440|
|Building Capacity (Tons)||0|
|Port passengers (annual)||0|
Jae Tellona is a nonindustrial, pre-rich desert world with no free-standing water.
- It still lacks adequate population or other means to expand its economy to a rich status.
- It requires extensive imports of outside technology to maintain a modern, star-faring society. Having to import most manufactured and high tech goods drives the price up for these items at this world. Government control of this world is by an external military force. It is a member of Third Imperium in the Rhylanor Subsector of Spinward Marches Sector and in the Domain of Deneb. Jae Tellona, as a member world of the Third Imperium, holds the estate of an Imperial knight and a baronet. Both are members of the Imperial Nobility charged with overseeing the world. This world has a nearby Imperial Naval Base, capable of handling warships.
|Army size (BEs)||12|
|World Trade Number||4.5|
|Trade Volume (MCr/year)||29,011|
|Building Capacity (Tons)||1,000|
|Port passengers (annual)||2,158,400|
- 1 Era: New Era
- 2 Description / Astrography & Planetology
- 3 History & Background / Dossier
- 3.1 Imperial High / Landed Nobility
- 3.2 World Starport
- 3.3 World Technology Level
- 3.4 World Government
- 3.5 World Economy
- 3.6 World Demographics
- 3.7 World Culture
- 3.8 Historical Data
- 4 References & Contributors / Sources
Era: New Era
Jae Tellona is a rich, nonindustrial desert world with no free-standing water.
- It requires extensive imports of outside technology to maintain a modern, star-faring society. Having to import most manufactured and high tech goods drives the price up for these items at this world.
- This world is rich with high-grade living conditions, a good climate, and a non-harmful environment. Immigration registration for this world is always in high demand. Government control of this world is by an external military force. It is a member of Regency of Deneb in the Rhylanor Subsector of Spinward Marches Sector. This world has a nearby Regency Naval Base, capable of handling warships.
- This world has alternate orthographies of:
- Jae Tallona
- Jae Taellona
Description / Astrography & Planetology
Jae Tellona is the only inhabited world of the Jae Tellona system. In addition to the mainworld, the system contains one large gas giant with an impressive satellite system of its own, two "linked" small gas giants, an asteroid belt, and a number of unremarkable planetoid–sized bodies scattered in between. 
Jae Tellona Monostellar System Star Name Hierarchy Color Classification Remarks Jae Tellona Primary Primary Yellow-White F9 V
The bright supergiant star Deneb is visible in Jae Tellona's sky even during the daytime.
The Jae Tellonan year is approximately 2.2 standard years in duration, and the world has a 25° axial tilt relative to the plane of its orbit. A Jae Tellonan day is approximately 36 hours long in the mid–latitudes, but days at the polar regions are a little over an Imperial Standard year long. Jae Tellona has a diameter of 8,109 km, and a surface gravity of 0.625g. 
Depending on latitude, temperatures on Jae Tellona can be torrid and even deadly. Jae Tellona has no free standing water at all, and most off-worlders find the environment outside the underground complexes uncomfortable. Crossing the desert without a vehicle or environment suit is often lethal. Those not acclimated to the harsh wind and the lack of water-vapor in the air discover that exposed skin chaffs and blisters, often causing injury before the afflicted is even aware of the problem. Dehydration and heat stroke often follow if exposure occurs during the daylight hours. 
Jae Tellona boasts a powerful magnetic field at its poles, approximately two orders of magnitude greater than the magnetic field of Terra, which causes the night months to often be lit by spectacular auroras. The aurora-light is often so bright that it is possible to see without visual aids. The interaction of the ions in the upper atmosphere with the planetary magnetic field can sometimes cause great problems in with sensors, contragravity lifters, and communications equipment. 
Mainworld Geography & Topography
No information yet available.
There is little native animal life on Jae Tellona, and the few muticellular life–forms that do exist are mostly insect-analogs. The dominant native life on Jae Tellona is a motile form of oxygen-producing desert algae that exists in extensive "carpets" in the planet's temperate zones, along with a variety of single–celled organisms and "insectoids" that exist in symbiosis with it as part of the planet's ecological cycle. Desert algal carpets and the parasites they host typically move at a maximum rate of about 10 km a week. 
2814 Jae Tellona (Imperial) - Green Zone
Starport: Class V (Class A) - Naval base.
Diameter: 5,040 miles (8,100 km).
Atmosphere: Standard oxygen-nitrogen.
Government: Captive/colony (Military: Imperial Navy).
Control Level: 2.
Tech Level: 8.
World Trade Number: 7.
History & Background / Dossier
As a captive/colony type government, the colony falls nominally under Imperial Law, operating under charter by Sternmetal Horizons, LIC, and is overseen by the Imperial Navy. Planetary law enforcement agents are mostly corporate security personnel, without much real power, but enough to make them better avoided than crossed. 
Imperial High / Landed Nobility
Jae Tellona is the home of a member or members of the Imperial Nobility, a narrow class of persons at the upper strata of Imperial society who hold noble rank.
- It contains the estate of an Imperial Baronet: The Baronet of Jae Tellona
- It contains the estate of an Imperial Knight: The Honourable Knight of Jae Tellona
- See: Nobles of Jae Tellona
Jae Tellona has an excellent quality starport.
- A Class-A Starport Facility has very well developed shipyards and is capable of producing first rate starships.
- This facility has many very skilled personnel who can perform not only major repair work, but overhaul work as well.
- This facility has advanced refueling and refining infrastructure. One may purchase practically any kind of refined fuel here.
- Almost every starport of this class possesses both a Lowport and a Highport. Sometimes multiple ports of each type.
- Jae Tellona has two Starport facilities, one located at each polar region. Many of the wealthier inhabitants of Jae Tellona fly to the opposite pole every 13 months in order to always reside on the night-side of the world. Though the night-side is just as frigid as the day-side is torrid (and just as deadly to the unprotected), many prefer the frigid environment as compared to the high temperatures of the day-side. 
World Technology Level
- Common Communication technologies for this TL include: Fiber optics, improved telephones, and satellite communication and data networks.
- Common Power Generation technologies for this TL include: Improved geothermal and improved batteries.
- Common Transportation technologies for this TL include:
- Land: Advanced automobiles.
- Water: Triphibians and early artificial gills.
- Air: Improved helicopters and hypersonic jets.
- Space: Space shuttles, early space stations, and improved interplanetary spacecraft.
Jae Tellona is a Captive Government or Colony.
- It is a government by a leadership answerable to an outside group, a colony or conquered area.
- The typical power source of this government is an Vassal State.
- The typical power structure of this government is a Federation .
- Although Jae Tellona's law level is nominally 5, many of the world's inhabitants are rough–cut miners who work hard and play hard. Mining colonies are found mostly underground, but are also periodically dispersed throughout the regions of desert and mountains. 
- Many in the ranks of Jae Tellonan law enforcement are corrupt, and a significant percentage of both the police establishment and economic concerns are controlled by criminal organizations, collectively known on Jae Tellona as the "Affiliation". 
No information yet available.
No information yet available.
No information yet available.
No information yet available.
Recreational drugs are often freely available upon Jae Tellona and prostitution has evolved into an institution with benefits and pensions. As a result, Jae Tellona has tended to become a haven for criminal elements. 
The northern-polar city is known as Stargate Artica, while the southern-polar city is known as Stargate Antartica. The majority of the population in each of these cities exists underground, though both cities also have some hardy surface dwellers who see living on the surface as a sign of superiority. Stargate Artica is the older of the two cities, and is slightly larger and more developed in terms of its underground complex. The underground complex of Stargate Artica is divided into eight Sectors. The sectors are connected by an extensive underground electrical railway system reminiscent of the subways employed in the undercities of the larger population centers of many lower tech worlds. Stargate Antartica has a similar system of classification but is far less developed, and has only five sectors. 
- Various installations all over the planet serve as access points to the extensive network of mines and tunnels throughout the planet’s crust. The buildings and installations of these access points often function as temporary cities. Most of these access points are located in the equatorial and tropical regions, often concentrated in the hills and mountains. 
No information yet available.
No information yet available.
No information yet available.
Other Data: (New Era History)
Non-canon: Jae Tellona under the Regency (post-1130 and New Era): 
If your astrogator made the mistake of plotting his course for the "habitable" zone of the Jae Tellona system, don't chastise him too severely when you arrive in an asteroid belt. Jae Tellona, the system mainworld, is located one orbit into the outer zone of the system. 
When settlers originally came to Jae Tellona (ca. 230), they made the same mistake. The small flotilla of settlers from Gushemege Sector arrived in system to stake their claims only to find they were in the middle of the system's solitary asteroid belt. Thinking they had been suckered by a corrupt colonial-office tree-kraken-oil salesman, the angry settlers prepared to embark upon the long and costly flight home across The Rift to collect some payback. Fortunately, a crewmember on one of the ships took a closer look at the system charts and discovered their folly. 
Even at this distance, Jae Tellona's average temperature remains in a survivable range because of the absence of large oceans on Jae Tellona's arid surface. Because there are no oceans present to cool the planet, the energy of Dikaai, the system's solitary subgiant star, is conserved rather well. Oddly enough, if a planet with Jae Tellona's hydrosphere were in this system's habitable zone, the temperature would be infernally high and render colonization next to impossible. 
Jae Tellona's original settlers came from Gushemege's rimward edge. This region was particularly hard hit by The Long Night. The peoples of the region were eager to ply the lanes of interstellar space looking for a better opportunity after centuries of hardship and subjugation at the hands of more populated and technologically advanced worlds. 
The Jae Tellonan settlers were the descendents of mixed Vilani - Solomani stock. Their Vilani blood came predominantly from several warrior caste worlds of the old Vilani Empire, including Answerin. During the Interstellar Wars, several roughriding Terran squadrons were sent into the region to do battle with the Vilani. After peace was made, many of them stayed. The hybrid of the two cultures featured some of the best characteristics of both human strains. The settlers who were to become the Jae Tellonans were known for their Answerin fearlessness as well as the frontier spirit of their Terran ancestors. 
While colonizing a desert world is a dismal proposition for some, the Jae Tellonan settlers welcomed the challenge. In christening their world, the settlers chose the name of an inspirational Gushemegan military leader who helped guide the people of the Gushemegan colonies through the waning years of the Long Night and into the Twilight Era. 
The Jae Tellonans learned to maximize their use of the planet's limited moisture resources. In addition, they learned to distill water from the skimmed atmosphere of Uunkida Gar, the gas giant Jae Tellona orbits. It therefore comes as no surprise that Uunkida Gar is named for one of Vland's largest oceans, considering its primary use for the Jae Tellonans. 
While the Jae Tellonan colonists held a commonality of purpose, they could never completely overcome their militaristic roots. Descended from spacefaring soldiers, the clannish colonists found themselves splintering into opposed camps. Soon warfare began to break out between the clans. By 350, the warfare between the clans became so severe, Jae Tellona's population began to experience a sharp drop, at one point even dipping into pre-colonization levels. The number of young men and women began to dwindle to the point that they could no longer sustain the population growth necessary for a colony to continue to grow and prosper. 
It was then that Makhid Jellosonar, a general of the Hyosonuri clan, went to the Duke of Rhylanor for help. Jellosonar invited intervention by the Rhylanori to quell the discontent at home. At first, Rhylanor was loathe to accept the offer. While Jellosonar was the most powerful warlord on Jae Tellona, he was the only one to come to Rhylanor for help. The resistance, bred for desert fighting, might be strong and Rhylanor had no desire to become embroiled in a prolonged conflict. Jellosonar sweetened the deal by offering a lucrative trade pact to Rhylanor provided they help to establish him as the solitary ruler of the planet. Rhylanor accepted and dispatched military advisors to help Jellosonar conquer the enemy clans and bring them under his wing. Using advanced Rhylanori weaponry, he succeeded. 
Since that time, Jae Tellona has existed under nearly a millenium of military rule. The Jae Tellonans, used to a hard life, willingly submit to the fiat of a central ruler. The central ruler is drawn from the general ranks of Jae Tellona's army. No pretense of pluralism exists on the planet. The ruler is referred to as "general commandant" by the citizenry. The general's hierarchy of staff officers provide the network by which he rules the system. Each general commandant is elected by his peers in the Jae Tellonan army. Election of a general commandant is not taken lightly, as he rules for life once appointed. 
Staff generals are appointed to cities and territories by the general commandant. The native city or region of a staff general has no bearing on his appointment. In fact, staff generals are usually appointed to regions that are not their native element. The Jae Tellonans believe this promotes unity and dissipates clan ethnocentricity. 
One element of Jellosonar's trade agreement with Rhylanor that continues to this day is the "Rashakhra Provision." The Rashakhras are Jae Tellonan soldiers conscripted into the Rhylanori military services as commandos. They are trained on Jae Tellona and known as one of the toughest, most disciplined military units in the Regency. The number of conscripts is limited based on current population levels so as not to upset the balance or personnel numbers of Jae Tellona's army. Though many Jae Tellonans have come to resent this provision, for most it is considered an honor to serve among the Rashakhra ranks. 
The delicate balance of peace between the clans is maintained by the checks and balances of a system that could best be described as a draconian feudal technocracy. The military ranks controlled by the general commandant consist of carefully mixed clan blocs so as to prevent any one clan from obtaining a controlling majority of a military unit. Each clan bloc is privy to a large stock of top-of-the-line Rhylanori military technology, enabling them to hold power by the sheer potential force of their ranks. While some of the old clan conflicts continue to simmer to this day, the historical threat of self-destruction and the strength of the general commandant maintains the peace. 
Jae Tellona's novelty tech level is of particular importance since it reflects the military technology level. While domestically manufactured weapons, sensors and computers may be purchased by the general populace for commercial and self defense purposes, only the military is allowed use of imported high-tech weaponry and electronics. The Jae Tellonan military trades with only two preferred partners: Rhylanor and Porozlo. 
The above description may give the wandering traveller the impression that Jae Tellona is a powder keg waiting to blow. Just the opposite is true, however. Jae Tellona maintains a remarkably harmonious society. While the planet is technically under military rule, this is more out of tradition than necessity. Jellosonar's unification of the Jae Tellonan clans was looked upon as a paradigm shift in the history of the planet. The military was not looked upon as an oppressor, but rather a liberator, freeing the citizenry from the self-imposed prison of perpetual war. 
The military is actually proportionately smaller than those of most other Regency systems. The revered training and discipline of a Jae Tellonan battalion, however, makes them the equal of most Regency army brigades. At age 17, all Jae Tellonans are conscripted into the army and are taught, in addition to basic weapons, tactics and fighting skills, the tenets of civil defense and desert warfare. The length of conscription is one term. Many Jae Tellonans opt to remain in the military for a second term, but for the most part, the only "lifers" in the Jae Tellonan military are those who become Rashakhras. 
Jae Tellona's populace for the most part thrives on trade, producing components and materials for many offworld industries. The Jae Tellonan silicon industry, for instance, claims to cut more silicon than the rest of the subsector's worlds combined. Indeed, Jae Tellona's main specialization is the production of military-grade silicon components. 
Jae Tellonans take pride when they see their part in the greater scheme of things. While the planet's pre-stellar TL-8 doesn't allow them to compete with neighbors Rhylanor and Porozlo in most industries, Jae Tellonan craftmanship and attention to detail is respected subsectorwide. 
As a leading exporter of many technological components, Jae Tellona is resented by many other systems in the subsector for their trade surplus. Jae Tellona ships a great deal, but is rather stingy on importation for several reasons. First and foremost is the aforementioned trade limitations imposed by the general commandant. Second is the culture of the Jae Tellonans themselves. Accustomed to hardship and relatively few material comforts, Jae Tellonans simply don't demand many consumer products. They work hard, play hard and enjoy travelling the wild outbacks of their harsh and unforgiving world, but they don't buy much in the way of entertainment, fashion or leisure products. 
Because of this, Jae Tellona is frequently at the center of TNS financial news pieces. They have been subjected to numerous economic sanctions in the past from other systems in Rhylanor Subsector, but maintain their monolithic stance and show no signs of abating their aggressive trade policies. 
Hyosonuri Starport, located in the industrial city of Dan Mokheidi, is a meticulously maintained and highly functional starport, albeit a bit small. A large portion of the starport is allotted to Jae Tellona's government-controlled freighter fleet and small but efficient SDB squadron. Eight ports are reserved for offworlder starships. 
The seat of government lies in the small and seemingly provincial city of Brokari Ai. Located next to one of the planet's few permanent oases, Brokari Ai is more a military base than a city, though a fairly large commercial sector exists to serve the needs of the general commandant's brigade. 
Offworlders will find Jae Tellonans surprisingly friendly and forthcoming. They criticize their leaders quite freely and without fear of reprisal. Casual observers and self-proclaimed civic experts attribute the unwillingness to overthrow the government to a general malaise or complacency on the part of the Jae Tellonan masses. Those who are so misinformed fail to remember that Jae Tellonans are descendants of Vilani military castes. Committed to duty and efficiency, the Jae Tellonans subscribe the old addage, "If it ain't broke, why fix it?" 
Their society, under military rule, prospers to a degree that the Jae Tellonan populace finds satisfactory. Most see no reason to alter the system or liberate the government, thereby risking a return to the bloody days of old. 
Jae Tellonans, for the most part, are dark skinned with black or dark brown hair. Their eye colors have a much greater natural range, with hazel, amber and light brown being the most common. Jae Tellonans, due to their ascetic lifestyles, are rarely overweight. Poor physical condition is taboo in Jae Tellonan culture. "The gluttonous man," it is said in Jae Tellonan proverbs, "has drawn too long on the well that nourishes us all." 
References & Contributors / Sources
|This article is missing content for one or more detailed sections. Additional details are required to complete the article. You can help the Traveller Wiki by expanding it.|
- Marc Miller. The Spinward Marches Campaign (Game Designers Workshop, 1985), .
- Dave Nilsen. The Regency Sourcebook (Game Designers Workshop, 1995), 43.
- Martin Dougherty, Neil Frier. Behind the Claw (Steve Jackson Games, 1998), 107.
- Mongoose Traveller: Compendium 1 , p.12.
- External Link: RICE Paper SM 2814 - Christopher Griffen (Non-Canon)
- Author & Contributor: Lord (Marquis) and Master of Sophontology Maksim-Smelchak of the Ministry of Science