Library Data Referral Tree
- B: Biology / Biotechnology (Bio-)
- Artificial Womb
- Bio-Identenoid (Typoid)
- Genetic Engineering AKA Geneering
- Personality Recording
- Relict Regeneration
- Replacement Body Part
An insectoid creature is distinguished by a number of characteristics:
- Segmented bodies consisting of two or more parts: typically a head, a thorax, and an abdomen.
- An exoskeleton or a hard, shell-like covering on the outside of the body.
- Three or more pairs of jointed appendages referred to as legs. These are typically used for walking, but sometimes a specialized pair may be used for jumping.
- Antennae, typically mounting sensory organs.
- Two pairs of wings.
- An open circulatory system.
Quasi-arachnoids, Arthropodoids and Crustaceanoids are relatively esoteric subclassifications of insectoid primarily used by biologists. For most purposes, however, such types of creature qualify as insectoids.
Specific Species Examples
- Amindii, technologically advanced sophonts native Regina in the Spinward Marches.
- Blood Nymphs, possibly native to Vland.
- Smaetal Swarm
Most biologists agree that a creature should exhibit at least three of the characteristics associated with insectoids to qualify as a insectoid, though others set the limit at two. The term is necessarily generic.
It is relatively common for a creature to meet sufficient criteria to qualify as more than one classification of animal.
- Traveller Wiki Editorial Team
- Author & Contributor: Lord (Marquis) and Master Scout Emeritus Adie Alegoric Stewart of the IISS
- Author & Contributor: Lord (Marquis) and Master of Sophontology Maksim-Smelchak of the Ministry of Science