Inquiry class Lab Ship
|Inquiry class Lab Ship|
Unpublished, non-canon fan design.
|Type: L Lab Ship|
|Also see||Lab Ship|
|Architect||Ronald B. Kline, Jr.|
|Canon||No. Unpublished, non-canon fan design.|
in quantity MCr123.131
|Passengers||0 High/Med 14 Low|
|Reference||Ronald B. Kline, Jr.|
|Starships are designed with the Classic Traveller format, using High Guard Shipyard v1.13 written by Andrea Vallance.|
The Inquiry class Lab Ship was originally designed as an armored transport for service with the Nist Military Forces and was designed and built at Nist (world). They operate within the Halcyon Sector. The commercial variant has become an infamous asteroid vessel. It is classified as a Laboratory Research Vessel and is constructed to be able to use drop tanks to extend its range. Broadly similar designs of vessel have been in use with belter cultures from the time the Distant Fringe was first settled. The vessel is a TL-11 design.
No information yet available.
General Description & Deck Plans
No information yet available.
Basic Ship Characteristics
Following the Imperial Navy and IISS Universal Ship Profile and data, additional information is presented in the format shown here. The small craft factor indicates the number of squadrons (...of ten subcraft) carried on the ship. Tonnage on the universal ship profile is shown in kilotons (...thousands of tons) where necessary. 
|Basic Ship Characteristics |
|1.||Tonnage / Hull||TBD tons.|
|4.||Electronics||Model/TBD fib computer.|
|6.||Armament|| The normal weapons fit-out for it is:
|7.||Defenses||No information yet available.|
|11.||Construction Time||TBD months to build, TBD months in quantity.|
- x2 primary airlocks and x2 secondary service airlocks are located around the vessel. The cargo hold is accessed by large doors.
- The configuration of the hull prevents surface landings.
|- | 2. | Crew | x8 personnel: Pilot, navigator, (x2) engineers, medic, (x2) gunners and flight.
- There are 9 staterooms. Single occupancy accommodations are provided for all crew. A single stateroom is available to paying passengers.
- The cryo section contains 14 Low Berths, primarily used on commercial vessels for transporting livestock. Vessels in military service officially use the cryo section for troop transportation and casualty evacuation. It is rumored that low berths aboard military Inquiry class Lab Ship have been used to store prisoners over extended periods. Such actions contravene the Rissa Accords.
- There are internal monitoring and security systems throughout the vessel. Individual sections of the hull can be sealed off.
- There are multiple emergency lockers.
|- | 3. | Performance | The vessel mounts a Jump-2 drive, a Maneuver-1 drive, and a Power Plant-2, giving performance of Jump-2 and 1G acceleration. The ship has an agility rating of 1 and an emergency agility of 1. The internal fuel tankage is sufficient for a single jump-2 and gives the power plant 4 weeks duration.
- The engineering section has a main control room.
- Ladders, gantries and platforms give access to the machinery.
- The jump drive utilizes a hull grid.
- The jump drive is fitted with a jump governor.
- The vessel is fitted with communications equipment, a basic EMS sensor array, and an avionics suite.
- It has a transponder unit that can be deactivated on command.
- The listed battery groupings are standard configurations for the class. Alternative battery groupings may be designated for specific missions.
|- | 6. | Armament | The normal weapons fit-out for this class is:
|- | 7. | Defenses | The hull is a thick rock with nickle iron deposits. plated, structurally reinforced, and fitted with secure bulkheads and compartments that give it a High Guard armor rating of 3.
|- | 8. | Craft | Flight Section
- The vessel is equipped with a fuel purification plant that can refine all onboard fuel in a few hours: the plant is operated and maintained by the engineering crew.
Examples of the class in military service are routinely fitted with Droptanks capable of supporting an additional Jump-2 for extended range operations. |- | 10. | Cost | The basic cost of the vessel, complete with a full complement of subcraft, is MCr153.914.
- The vessel and its subcraft are standard designs. Detailed architectural plans are widely available and no design fee is chargeable.
- If multiple examples of the design are ordered all of the ships in the production run qualify for a 20% discount, which reduces the price per unit to MCr123.131 (including subcraft).
|- | 11. | Construction Time | 64 weeks individually.
- Build times can be reduced by mass production and the efficiencies such processes generate, by increased financing, and by allotting additional yard resources and facilities to the construction contract.
This vessel as designed and built in the Nist (world) system, the Inquiry class Lab Ship is used for covert military research. Scientists are often issued these vessels upon retirement to carry on their research grants and commercial contracts. They are versatile transports well suited to operations in remote areas. The Inquiry class Lab Ship was originally developed for service with the scientific institutes. It proved versatile and was used in a variety of roles, including private enterprise when the opportunity arose. Their rugged construction and excellent endurance made them incredibly popular with their crews and commercial variants (albeit with downgraded sensor and defensive systems) soon began to be manufactured, both at and other rival shipyards. The Inquiry class Lab Ship class operates throughout the Distant Fringe region. An example of this class the Cryophage, was reported operating in the Tsorva system.
- The military variant of the vessel, considered to be of a superior build quality and with the advantage of improved sensors, continues to be highly sought after by both commercial and private interests.
Class Naming Practice/s & Peculiarities
No information yet available.
Selected Variant Types & Classes
- Type L class Laboratory Ship
|This article has Metadata|
- Marc Miller, Frank Chadwick, John Harshman. High Guard (Game Designers Workshop, 1980), 20-37. (Design Sequence Used)
- Traveller Wiki Editorial Team
- Author & Contributor: Lord (Marquis), Captain, and Lead Naval Architect Ronald B. Kline, Jr. of the Imperial Navy
- Author & Contributor: Lord (Marquis) and Master Scout Emeritus Adie Alegoric Stewart of the IISS
- Author & Contributor: Lord (Marquis) and Master of Sophontology Maksim-Smelchak of the Ministry of Science