Hivers (Alien Module)
Encounters with the Manipulators
|Publisher||Game Designers Workshop|
|Author||J. Andrew Keith, Marc W. Miller, Loren Wiseman|
|Also See||Alien Races 3 (G:T)|
Aliens of the Rim (TNE)
|ISBN 0-943580-11-0 Product No. 263|
The subjects of this, the seventh Alien Module for Classic Traveller, are the Hivers — a race of six-limbed, omnivorous gatherer/scavengers that has grown from a single world culture to the dominant race of the star-spanning Hive Federation, which rivals the Third Imperium in power and technology. The Hivers' physical and psychological differences from Humaniti are examined in detail, and the effects of these differences on specific game rules are explained.
The progress of evolution on other worlds can create fantastic results. In the far trailing regions parsecs from the Imperium, on the world of Guaran, the beings who reached intelligence and ultimate domination of their world were six-limbed pseudo-starfish. On their homeworld, they created a culture based on cooperation, but which still accepted and respected the individual. When they reached space, they carried that culture with them, establishing a federation which now spans more than ten sectors.
Early explorers were struck by the hive-like appearance of these aliens' cities; naturally they were called Hivers. The fact that Hivers had no spoken language delayed recognition that there was no true hive relationship long enough for the name to stick.
Hivers are aliens. They are a cooperative race, but they respect individualism. they live in nests, but can change to another nest any time they want. They abhor violence and war, but they won the only major war they have ever fought. They love their children, but allow most of their children to die before they are a year old.
To understand them, and their place in the Traveller universe, this alien module is essential. This module allows Traveller players to be Hiver characters, to play adventures in the Hive Federation, and to learn more about the Hivers' culture.
This Alien Module includes:
- Hiver Society, Psychology, and History: Detailed essays on the alien society of the Hivers, their individual psychology, and the history of the race, from its origins to the present time.
- Hiver Character Generation: Special tables handle the specific details of Hiver character advancement. Hiver character types include leaders, merchants, story-tellers, explorers, and manipulators.
- Advanced Character Generation: Character and skills tables for Merchant Prince and High Guard (you must have Merchant Prince and High Guard booklets to make full use of them) allow generation of Hiver characters.
- Hiver World Generation: Rules for generation of Hiver worlds within the Hive Federation.
- Hiver Encounters: Patrons and random encounter lists for use in the Hive Federation.
- Standard Starships: Standard designs for Hiver military and commercial starships, including the uniquitous Embassy Ship.
- And an Adventure: A band of adventurers find a Hiver patron who is willing to finance an operation using their skills. But, as with all Hivers, there is more below the surface than is first apparent.
- J. Andrew Keith, Marc W. Miller, and Loren Wiseman
- Marc W. Miller
- Cover Art
- Steve Venters
- Interior Illustrations
- Bryan Gibson and Steve Venters
- Art Direction
- Barbie Pratt
Table of Contents
Anatomical drawings of a Hiver IFC Introduction 1 Origins of the Hivers 3 Hiver Physiology 4 Hiver Society 6 The Psychology of the Hivers 10 The Hive Federation 12 Guaran and Glea 15 The History of the Hivers 16 Hiver Character Generation 18 High Guard for Hivers 26 Merchant Prince for Hivers 30 Worlds 34 Other Game Rules 36 Travel and Starships 38 Something Stinks! (adventure) 41 Hivers in Traveller 44 Hive Federation Sector Map, c. 1111 IBC