Harrier class System Defense Boat
|Harrier class System Defense Boat|
Distant Fringe vessel.
|Type: SDB System Defense Boat|
|Also see||System Defense Boat|
|Architect||Ronald B. Kline, Jr.|
|Canon||No. Unpublished, non-canon fan design.|
MCr788.174 in quantity
|Passengers||0 High/Med 0 Low|
|Reference||Fan: Ronald B. Kline, Jr.|
|Starships are designed with the Classic Traveller format, using High Guard Shipyard v1.13 written by Andrea Vallance.|
The Harrier class System Defense Boat is a defensive warship.
- It is a paramilitary ship and a System Defense Boat.
- Please also see AAB article: Ships of the Distant Fringe.
- Please also see AAB article: Warships of the Distant Fringe.
They have a very heavily armored streamlined needle/wedge hull capable of atmospheric operations and is fitted with fuel scoops for ocean refueling. They offer 6-G acceleration, and 6-Agility. There is a large fusion power plant dedicated to providing nimble Agility and feeding the ship computer's power demands. They are plumbed to carry drop tanks with an additional 28 days of power plant fuel, so that they can remain on station for an extended time. They mount a pair of model/6 fib ship computers adjacent to the bridge with a complete auxiliary command center. The extra bridge is for use in the case of battle damage.
No information yet available.
General Description & Deck Plans
No information yet available.
Basic Ship Characteristics
Following the Imperial Navy and IISS Universal Ship Profile and data, additional information is presented in the format shown here. The small craft factor indicates the number of squadrons (...of ten subcraft) carried on the ship. Tonnage on the universal ship profile is shown in kilotons (...thousands of tons) where necessary. 
|Basic Ship Characteristics |
|1.||Tonnage / Hull||TBD tons.|
|4.||Electronics||Model/6 fib ship computer.|
|6.||Armament|| The normal weapons fit-out for it is:
|7.||Defenses||No information yet available.|
|11.||Construction Time||TBD months to build, TBD months in quantity.|
The Harrier class System Defense Boat was designed and are manufactured in the Nexus system. They serve with the Nexus Fleet Forces. They are part of the Nexus Fleet Forces. These boats are hidden throughout the system in fortified hangars. Five squadrons of ten ships each, are secreted throughout the system to defend key installations. They are often co-located with fighter squadrons.
Distant Fringe Vessels
The Distant Fringe is said to be a far spinward-rimward area inhabited by colonists and refugees originating on Terra. The region is extremely isolated, separated from the rest of Charted Space by vast, almost uncrossable rifts that were once broached by a system of calibration Points and the use of tankers. Those few academics within Charted Space who have found references to the Distant Fringe regard it as little more than a tall tale. Likewise, many of the inhabitants of the Distant Fringe believe the existence of Charted Space to be mythical.
Vessels originating within the Distant Fringe are very rarely encountered outside of the region. However, misjumps do occur and anomalies with bizarre spacetime and Jumpspace effects exist: as such, craft of this type are not entirely unknown within Charted Space.
Class Naming Practice/s & Peculiarities
Each vessel within the class is named by the government of the state that produces it. They generally draw on traditional naming protocols and it is not uncommon for a historical class name to be reused.
- Individual vessels within the class are issued specific serial numbers and transponder codes.
- Naming a ship is considered a serious affair and is generally accompanied by a traditional ceremony, usually pouring a local beverage over the bows of the craft. Starfarers tend to be superstitious folk and a ship with a frivolous name is considered "unlucky".
Selected Variant Types & Classes
- Type SDB class System Defense Boat
- Harrier class System Defense Boat
|This article has Metadata|
|This article is missing content for one or more detailed sections. Additional details are required to complete the article. You can help the Traveller Wiki by expanding it.|
- Marc Miller, Frank Chadwick, John Harshman. High Guard (Game Designers Workshop, 1980), 20-37. (Design Sequence Used)
- Traveller Wiki Editorial Team
- Author & Contributor: Lord (Marquis), Captain, and Lead Naval Architect Ronald B. Kline, Jr. of the Imperial Navy
- Author & Contributor: Lord (Marquis) and Master Scout Emeritus Adie Alegoric Stewart of the IISS
- Author & Contributor: Lord (Marquis) and Master of Sophontology Maksim-Smelchak of the Ministry of Science