A Habitable Zone, Life Zone, or "Goldilocks Zone" is a planetological term for the area of stellar system space in which the right conditions for conventional sophont life is thought to be most favorable.
- Imperial scientists often use the shorthand abbreviation HZ or Hz to indicate this term.
- Some also call it the green band.
Please see the following AAB articles for related information:
In practice, this zone tends to be a few planets out from the main star of a system, in which the conditions for liquid water, temperate weather, and other necessary conditions for conventional life can arise.
- Too far out, and liquid water no longer exists, meaning that only cryomorphs, or extreme cold species can survive.
- Too far in, and only thermomorphs, or extreme heat-loving species can survive.
- And of course, there are hundreds of other factors also involved.
History & Background (Dossier)
The idea of a Habitable Zone was independently developed by many different major and minor race sophont species.
- However, the one thing that most of these Charted Space species hold in common is that they are conventional carbon-based lifeforms. Their idea of habitability differs greatly from exotic or unconventional lifeforms such as Jovionoids.
References & Contributors / Sources
- Scouts (book)
- Grand Survey (book)
- World Builder's Handbook
- World Tamer's Handbook
- GURPS Traveller: First In
- T5 Core Rules
- Traveller Wiki Editorial Team
- Author & Contributor: Lord (Marquis) and Master of Sophontology Maksim-Smelchak of the Ministry of Science