|Homeworld location||Ugarup (Solomani Rim 0502)|
|Reference||Rim of Fire 34-35.|
- 1 Description (Specifications)
- 2 History & Background (Dossier)
- 3 Worlds & Sectors (Astrography)
- 4 References & Contributors (Sources)
Biology (Physical Sophontology): Gurungan resemble octopus or Githiaskio, with a bulbous central body and six tentacles and grow up to two meters and 100kg. There have no internal structure, instead using internal pressure to maintain their shape. This makes them vulnerable out of the water. A lack of moisture can kill them within an hour.
Gurungan have two sexes, but the males live their existence as parasites on the body of the female. Gurungan have no eyes or other visual sensors, having evolved in the deep oceans on a world with a dim star. Instead the have a sophisticated sonar, which doubles as a speech system.
Evolution & Environment (Epigenetics)
This species originated on Ugarup (world) and developed intelligence.
Climate & Ecotope (Environment)
This species holds the following environmental preferences:
- Terrestrial planet (water world)
- Temperate climate
- Oceanic ecotopes (aquatic adaptation)
- Standard gravity
- Standard atmosphere
Anatomy & Physiology (Phenotype)
Sophontologists studying this species have discovered the following data.
Body Plan (Morphology)
- Radial symmetry (r-ial)
- Hexapod (6-ped)
- 6 limbs used for locomotion-manipulation "arm-legs"
- Body consist of one segment: central body (craniopod)
- This segment houses all of the specie's viscera and important organs
This species has a conventional carbon-water based biochemistry.
This species employs a conventional respiration cycle consisting of:
- Oxygen-nitrogen inhalant
- Carbon dioxide exhalant
Diet & Trophics (Consumption)
This species survives using the following methods of consumption:
- This species favors a variety of foodstuffs.
Gender & Sexuality (Reproduction)
This species has the following reproductive characteristics:
- Two genders (male & female)
- Strong sexual dimorphism
- (sexual reproduction)
- Conjugal intercourse
- Monogamous mating system (1m:1f average)
- Ovviparous birth
- (Semelparous): Uses r-selection and have many offspring that require little time to raise to maturity.
History & Background (Dossier)
History (Archaeological Sophontology): When first contacted by the Vilani during the First Imperium, the Gurungan were only beginning their use of tools. The Vilani exploited both the Gurungan and their world. The Solomani treated the Gurungan better, but the Gurungan natural xenophobia and distrust of Humaniti keeps them enigmatic and little seen.
Military & Intelligence (Force Projection)
Their ships tend to have extremely sensitive sensors and active EMS scanners. Their targeting and fire control systems are very accurate. They prefer a multi-environmental gun ship design for security. These vessels are equally comfortable at the bottom of an ocean or hiding in a gas giant. The weapon systems are adapted to a variety of environmental conditions as well. They contract with non human firms to transport these vessels between stars as battle riders. They vary in size but most are smaller than a few thousand tons in displacement. They are described by human observers as visually non-descript/plain.
Worlds & Sectors (Astrography)
This race (sophont species) is primarily located in the following areas:
The homeworld of this race is:
World Listing: 1105
References & Contributors (Sources)
|This article is missing content for one or more detailed sections. Additional details are required to complete the article. You can help the Traveller Wiki by expanding it.|
- Jon F. Zeigler. Rim of Fire (Steve Jackson Games, 2000), 34-35.
- Traveller Wiki Editorial Team
- Author & Contributor: Lord (Marquis) and Master of Sophontology Maksim-Smelchak of the Ministry of Science