|Generic Hand Grenade|
Generic Hand Grenades hanging on a utility belt
|Group: Ranged Weapon|
|Ammo||x1 grenade (single use)|
|Generic Hand Grenade|
"Hand Grenades:" The modern hand grenade appears at tech level 5 and is generally available thereafter. Hand grenades may only be used against targets at medium range. A grenade may be thrown several times a minute, during which the thrower is treated as evading. A grenade thrower may elect not to evade, in which case the thrower is more exposed and vulnerable to enemy fire. No specific weapon skill is required to use grenades, although a good dexterity and significant limb strength help. All grenades are thrown at single targets and higher technology grenades generally use more capable explosives that do more damage. 
- All grenades weigh about 1.0 kilograms and cost Cr200 for a case of twenty. In addition to assault grenades, a variety of smoke grenades are available for signalling and obscuration, and specialized grenades (gas, anti-tank, etc.) are sometimes used as well. 
Selected Grenade Variants
- Antitank Grenade
- Concussion Grenade
- Displacer Grenade
- Gas Grenade
- High Explosive Grenade
- Radioactive Grenade
- Rifle Grenade
- Smoke Grenade
- White Phosphorous Grenade
History & Background (Dossier)
Explosive weapons are developed as early as the TL:1-3 epoch. In the Terran tradition, some of the earliest wielders of such explosives were known as grenadiers, as in soldiers employing grenades or explosive bombs. Specialized grenadiers were often known as sappers. Some ingenious explosive weapons have been invented by primitive TL:1-3 civilizations including napalm-like pyrotechnics.
By the industrial epoch of TL:4-6, hand grenades have grown common, but suffer from the limitations of being thrown by a sophont’s manipulatory limbs. Rifle Grenades typically appear as one of the solutions to range limitations with early hand grenades.
Typically by the TL:7-9 epoch, sophonts have begun to work around the limitations of thrown weapons by using kinetic projectors or special launchers for such weapons. Grenade Launchers are some of these solutions to firing grenades at farther ranges. 
Selected Grenade Models
No information yet available.
- Bryan Steele. Mercenary (Mongoose Publishing, 2008), 40.Frank Chadwick. Mercenary (Game Designers Workshop, 1978), 40.
- Jim Cunningham. "The Armory: Mercenary Support Weapons." High Passage 3 (1982): 38. (Illustration)
- Marc Miller. Imperial Encyclopedia (Game Designers Workshop, 1987), TBD.
- Greg Porter. Emperor's Arsenal (Imperium Games, 1997), TBD.
- Traveller Wiki Editorial Team
- Author & Contributor: Lord (Marquis) and Master of Sophontology Maksim-Smelchak of the Ministry of Science