A Grapnel is a climbing tool.
- It must be attached to a rope and is a kind of survival gear.
A grapnel, or a grappling hook, consists of three or more flukes attached to the end of a rope. Many examples have folding flukes for ease of transport.
- A grapnel is generally used for attempting climbs up sheer pitches.
- A grapnel may be secured in place to allow a descent.
Grapnels may be thrown into wreckage or debris in order to spread it out or drag items clear.
Maximum range to throw a grapnel is about 30 meters.
- Seven separate climbs would complete a 200 meter pitch (planting the grapnel on a ledge or projection, climbing to it, then repeating).
Grapnel climbing bypasses the procedure of sending up a lead climber; each climb is equivalent to a regular climb up emplaced ropes.
References & Contributors (Sources)
- Marc Miller. Imperial Encyclopedia (Game Designers Workshop, 1987), 59.
- Marc Miller. T5 Core Rules (Far Future Enterprises, 2013), 632.
- Traveller Wiki Editorial Team
- Author & Contributor: Lord (Marquis) and Master of Sophontology Maksim-Smelchak of the Ministry of Science