Grand Survey (book)
Exploring and Detailing Worlds
|Publisher||Digest Group Publications|
In the years 420 and 1065, the Imperial Interstellar Scout Service published the First and Second Grand Surveys. Some of their methods, and some of the results of their surveys, have been published before. But now, with the brand-new, state-of-the-art material in this book, you can have all the detail you ever wanted.
If you already use Scouts, Grand Survey continues where Scouts left off. And if you don't use Scouts, you can still use Grand Survey to learn more about a world. Starting with the basic Traveller UPP for the world, Grand Survey leads you step-by-step to detailed physical characteristics and an accurate map of the world.
Whether you're a Traveller player or a referee, Grand Survey tells you what you want to know when you arrive at a new world.
- World Design: Extensive rules, charts, and tables to tell you everything about the physical characteristics of a world: details of atmosphere, volcanic activity, tectonic plates, mapping, minerals and other resources, climate and temperature, population demographics, starport locations, ice caps, deserts, and more. Complete with examples.
- World Profile Form: The new Imperial Scout Form 20, to record all the physical details of a world. Also includes a full size world hex grid for precise mapping.
- Imperial Scout Survey Procedures: How a survey of a world takes place, including new skills for Scout characters.
- High-tech Survey Equipment: New equipment for Traveller, including remote sensor probes, self-precessing gyrocompass, and the multi-chronometer.
- Starship Sensors: Detailed information on all the data gathering devices used during a survey, including handheld versions, and information for using sensors in starship combat.
- Donosev Class Survey Scout Vessel: Complete plans of the ship that was the backbone of the Second Survey.
- Vacc Suits: Detailed data, with illustrations, of vacc suits from tech level 9 to tech level 15.
- Using World Data: Now that you have the world, all you need is the adventure. Guidelines and examples for turning world details into exciting situations for characters.
- Index: Not only is everything you want in Grand Survey, but you can find it fast.
Meta-history & Background
No information yet available.
World-building & Colonization
- World Displays (1981), by Ad Astra Products, which provided subsector and world record forms.
- Grand Survey (1986), by Digest Group Publications, which detailed the Imperial Interstellar Scout Service and the Grand Surveys, which allowed detailed physical characteristics and an accurate map of the world. Grand Survey called the UWP, the UPP or Universal Planetary Profile.
- Grand Census (1987), by Digest Group Publications, which detailed world cultural characteristics, including details of the social structures, government institutions, languages, and technology of the UWP.
- World Builder's Handbook (1989), by Digest Group Publications, which detailed how Imperial Scouts survey and explore new worlds including colonization and world mapping techniques.
- World Tamer's Handbook (1994), by Game Designers' Workshop, which brought even more detail to the survey and colonization processes.
- Traveller 5th (2013), by Far Future Enterprises, which further continues the UWP legacy with many new features.
- Surveying a world
- Joe Fugate, Robert Parker, Gary L. Thomas
- Detailing a world
- J. Andrew Keith, Joe Fugate
- Additional Design
- Gary L. Thomas, Nancy Parker
- Gary L. Thomas, Robert Parker
- Joe Fugate
Table of Contents
Introduction 1 Surveying a World 3 Detailing a World 26 Index 48