Gargantuan class Heavy Transport
|Gargantuan class Heavy Transport|
|Type: TH Heavy Transport|
|Also see||Merchant Vessel Transport|
|Canon||No. Unpublished, non-canon fan design.|
|EOS||Still in active service.|
|Hull||Dispersed Structure Hull|
|Passengers||460 High/Med 50 Low|
|Reference||Fan: Erik Rankins|
|Starships are designed with the Classic Traveller format, using High Guard Shipyard v1.13 written by Andrea Vallance.|
The Gargantuan class Heavy Transport is a heavy mercantile starship.
It is a vessel with 1-G and J-2 performance with a unstreamlined dispersed structure hull. The Gargantuan is built on a light framed dispersed structure hull, saving over eleven billion credits on construction costs. The ship has 160,000 hull points. Money saved in the hull was invested in engineering as the ship boasts a compact Graves-Dyson maneuver drive producing 1-G of acceleration, a fuel-efficient Packer Conglomerated jump drive allowing the ship one Jump-2 on available fuel. A Tosogare-Schultz twin reactor high efficiency power plant produces 13,000 energy points, enough for basic operations and powering up the jump drive. The ship, however, cannot maneuver while the jump drive is being charged. Fuel capacity is 57,156 tons, allowing eight weeks of operation in addition to the jumps. The Gargantuan has a Comp-20, a standard bridge, and civilian sensors. The ship has sixteen 14,000 dton cargo bays, for a total of 224,000 dtons, each with their own gantry and cranes. Loading belts are also present to facilitate cargo transfers. Docking clamps are installed at each of the cargo bays, so that cargo shuttles can be firmly docked door-to-door at each to decrease cargo transfer time. Gargantuan-Class ships cost MCr37,816.117 to build.
- It carries no armament and a light defensive suite. No turrets or weapons are installed.
- It ordinarily carries a few subcraft and drones when needed. The ship also has two 95-ton shuttles, which can be used for cargo, but are most often used as personnel transfer ships.
- It has a 360 sophont crew and no marines. Crew include Captain and 18 officers, 3 pilots, 3 navigators, a 175-member engineering section, 100 maintenance techs, 10 stewards, and a 50-member administration team. A five-member medical team are also on board, including a general practitioner, a surgeon, and three med techs. The ship has 460 staterooms, with a mix of single and double occupancy. The ship can take on ten passengers, but these are generally company officials or guests. In addition to the staterooms, the Gargantuan boasts 200 dton of common areas, including gaming rooms, an extensive galley, exercise facilities, among other crew amenities. In addition, the ship has a 190 dton biosphere which handles all of the air reclamation for the ship and grows a portion of the ship’s food stores. Six briefing rooms are present, and a 20-ton med-bay is provided to care for the crew. A 15-ton armory provides small arms and personal armor for the entire crew, should the need arise.
No information yet available.
General Description & Deck Plans
No information yet available.
Basic Ship Characteristics
Following the Imperial Navy and IISS Universal Ship Profile and data, additional information is presented in the format shown here. The small craft factor indicates the number of squadrons (...of ten subcraft) carried on the ship. Tonnage on the universal ship profile is shown in kilotons (...thousands of tons) where necessary. 
|Basic Ship Characteristics |
|1.||Tonnage / Hull||TBD tons.|
|4.||Electronics||Model/TBD fib ship computer.|
|6.||Armament / Weaponry||The normal weapons fit-out for it is:|
|8.||Craft / Drones||TBD|
|11.||Construction Time||TBD months to build, TBD months in quantity.|
The Gargantuan is a 300,000 dton mass transport ship, plying established high-volume routes. Whereas smaller ships move commodities, machine parts, and finished goods, this craft can transport immense pieces of equipment and even other starships as a Project Cargo Ship. Transport of large, high value cargo is the mainstay of shipping ventures using this craft, as lesser cargoes are only marginally profitable.
Class Naming Practice/s & Peculiarities
Six of these ships have been built. The Gargantuan, Enormous, Behemoth, Titanic, Stupendous, and Humongous.
Selected Variant Types & Classes
- Type TH class Heavy Transport
- Gargantuan class Heavy Transport
|This article has Metadata|
|This article is missing content for one or more detailed sections. Additional details are required to complete the article. You can help the Traveller Wiki by expanding it.|