|Garden/Alone (Reft 0435)|
|Classic Era (1115)|| |
|Primary||K4 V M4 V|
- As an agricultural world, this world is a near-ideal environment for producing quality foodstuffs of plant, animal, and other forms. Quality foodstuffs are a major export commodity for this world.
- It requires extensive imports of outside technology to maintain a modern, star-faring society. Having to import most manufactured and high tech goods drives the price up for these items at this world.
- Its economy and population are rapidly growing and living conditions are expected to moderately rise in the near future.
- This die back world was once settled and developed, but the inhabitants have either died off or left leaving behind the remnants of their civilization.
- It is a Non-Aligned world dominated by human sophonts located in the Alone Subsector of Reft Sector.
Description (Astrography & Planetology)
The planet's environment was discovered in an unbalanced state.
- Carbon dioxide concentrations in the atmosphere were abnormally high, warming the world's climate.
- Garden's climate was further worsened by its star, a long-period irregular variable, now in a bright phase.
- All in all, Garden was much less habitable than its name implied.
Binary Solar System
Garden Binary Star System Star Name Hierarchy Color Classification Remarks Garden Primary Primary Orange K4 V Garden Companion Secondary Red M4 V
Native Sophont: Salika
Surprisingly, Garden's first explorers found the remnants of another civilization. This prior civilization - identified in the 1110s as belonging to the Salika, a non-human minor race - had abruptly ended around 1000.
- Buildings were still intact, and all signs pointed to a mass migration offworld.
- At the time, no one knew the identity or destination of Garden's original inhabitants.
Point of Interest: Terraforming Project
- Designed to remove the excess carbon dioxide from the atmosphere, it has already started to show slight signs of cooling the planet's climate.
History & Background (Dossier)
Garden: Isolated beyond easy jump distance, Garden has only been visited by humans within the past three centuries. Colonists first began to arrive in 1079, desiring a new world to farm in peace. Garden's relative inaccessibility to the rest of the universe suited them perfectly, as their initial thoughts were to get back to nature and leave much of technology behind.
The colonists found the planet's environment in an unbalanced state. Carbon dioxide concentrations in the atmosphere were abnormally high, warming the world's climate. Garden's climate was further worsened by its star, a long-period irregular variable, now in a bright phase. All in all, Garden was much less habitable than its name implied.
The settlers, with aid from the Imperial Ministry of Colonization, began a wide-scale atmospheric terraforming project. Designed to remove the excess carbon dioxide from the atmosphere, it has already started to show slight signs of cooling the planet's climate.
Garden's current inhabitants live by a strict conservation ethic. They refuse to use any sort of destructive or exploitive technology. They shy away from using chemical fertilizers or pesticides in agriculture, and put considerations of environment foremost in their work. What technology exists on Garden is used for power, communications, or environmental control purposes. The starport is the only planetary installation to sport a high degree of automation.
References & Contributors (Sources)
|This article is missing content for one or more detailed sections. Additional details are required to complete the article. You can help the Traveller Wiki by expanding it.|