A G-Carrier is an enclosed, armored military or paramilitary grav vehicle, intended for troop carrier duties.
- A G-carrier is capable of close-orbital spaceflight (sealed against vacuum) and is much quicker than an Air/raft grav vehicle. A G-carrier is not intended for extended spaceflight. Interface landers (spacecraft), ship's gigs, shuttles, and other smallcraft perform similar roles.
G-Carriers commonly have the following features:
- It requires a crew of one driver (with air/raft skill), plus a gunner for the weapon, if any.
- It can carry 14 persons in total, plus two tons of cargo (or 250 kg of cargo for each person not carried). Thus driver, gunner and 5 tons of cargo is its maximum capacity.
- With performance similar to that of an Air/raft, the G-carrier generally has a gun mount and a rear hatch door.
- Most G-Carriers are capable of reaching orbit (occupants need not wear vacuum suits) and the trip will be a speedy one only taking a typical (15 to 45) minute flight depending on the size of the planet.
- G-Carriers have much more powerful engines when compared to Air/rafts.
Strategy & Doctrine (Operations)
G-Carriers typically are used for the same general mission as lighters, shuttles, or assault landers:
- Interface Operations: (Space to Surface & Surface to Space)
- Exploration: (Transport of small numbers of key scientists or materials)
Many G-Carriers are built for dedicated military missions:
- Troop Transport Missions: (Carry small numbers of troops)
- Utility Missions: (Carry small amounts of important materials)
No information yet available.
Various examples include the following classes of G-Carriers:
- Fusilier class G-Carrier (TL-10)
- Lopec class G-Carrier (TL-15)
- Kankurur class G-Carrier (TL-15)
- Gudukraa class G-Carrier (TL-12)
- Highlander class Armored G-Carrier (TL-12)
- Norseman class Armored G-Carrier (TL-11)
- Resolve class G-Carrier (TL-12)
- Skyknight class G-Carrier (TL-15)
References & Contributors (Sources)
|This article is missing content for one or more detailed sections. Additional details are required to complete the article. You can help the Traveller Wiki by expanding it.|
- Starships and Spacecraft
- Classic Traveller Broadsword (Adventure 7)
- Bryan Steele. Mercenary (Mongoose Publishing, 2008), .Frank Chadwick. Mercenary (Game Designers Workshop, 1978), .
- Classic Traveller Supplement 8 Library Data (A-M)
- Grand Census
- MegaTraveller Imperial Encyclopedia
- Traveller: The New Era Main Rulebook (pg. 363)
- MegaTraveller World Builder's Handbook
- SGS: Imperial Small Craft Vol. 2
- Traveller Wiki Editorial Team
- Author & Contributor: Lord (Marquis) and Master of Sophontology Maksim-Smelchak of the Ministry of Science