Fringian Medium Tanker
|Fringian Medium Tanker|
|Type: TF Commercial Mercantile Ships|
|Cargo|| 0 Tons|
Tankage 4200 Tons
|Cost|| MCr4521.430 (base)|
|Passengers||5 High/Med 0 Low|
A generic class of civilian vessel, the Medium Tanker is a large commercial hydrogen fuel transporter commonly encountered throughout the Distant Fringe region. It is classified as a Tanker and is constructed as a conventional design, although in all respects it qualifies as a long-range vessel. Similar designs have been in use from the time the Distant Fringe was first settled.
- The vessel is a TL 11 design.
- Vessels of this type are employed as Gas Traders.
The Medium Tanker is constructed using an 8000 dTon hull built in a generally cone-shaped configuration. The hull is fully streamlined: the ship is equipped with fuel scoops.
- Individual sections of the ship are divided by bulkhead walls. Sections of the ship can be isolated in the event of an emergency.
- The hull includes internal grav plates and inertial compensators. All accessible sections of the hull have life support.
- The commercial liquid hydrogen tanks are served by refrigeration and pumping equipment.
The vessel mounts a DeVoss-type jump-2 drive, a maneuver-2 drive, and a power plant-2, giving performance of jump-2 and 2G acceleration. The ship has an agility rating of 0 and an emergency agility of 2. There is internal fuel tankage of 1760 dTons, sufficient for one jump-2 and giving the power plant four weeks duration. The vessel has a purification plant capable of purifying both internal and commercial fuel
- The engineering section has a main control room. The purification facilities have a separate control center.
- The jump drive utilises a lanthanum hull grid.
- The jump drive is fitted with a jump governor.
Adjacent to the bridge is a computer model/4: the vessel carries an additional backup computer model/4. There is a secure locker with a capacity of 1 dTon. There are 40 staterooms. Double occupancy accommodations are required for all except the command crew. There is sufficient accommodation for 5 passengers. Commercial fuel tankage amounts to 4200 dTons.
- The vessel is fitted with communications equipment and a sensor suite.
The Medium Tanker requires 61 crew: 9x command, 14x engineering, 11x gunnery, and 24x service, of which 1 serves as flight crew for the lifeboat when required. In addition the vessel has 3x purification engineers.
The ship is fitted with 80 turrets. These are grouped into:
- five sandcaster batteries, each consisting of 10 linked triple turrets
- three beam laser batteries, each consisting of 10 linked triple turrets
The ship carries a 50 dTon Lifeboat in a dedicated hanger.
The basic cost of the vessel, complete with a Lifeboat, is MCr4521.430.
- Both craft are standard designs. Detailed architectural plans are widely available and no design fee is chargeable.
- If multiple examples of the design are ordered all of the ships in the production run qualify for a 20% discount, which reduces their price to MCr3617.144.
History / Background
The design is representative and a large number of variants exist, particularly with regard to the allotted weapons systems, onboard electronics, and the fit out of internal spaces.
See also: Ships of the Distant Fringe
|This article has Metadata|
|This article is missing content for one or more detailed sections. Additional details are required to complete the article. You can help the Traveller Wiki by expanding it.|
- Author & Contributor: Lord (Marquis) and Master Scout Emeritus Adie Alegoric Stewart of the IISS
- Author & Contributor: Lord (Marquis) and Master of Sophontology Maksim-Smelchak of the Ministry of Science