Fringian Box Cart
The Box Cart is a type of archaic Ground Car.
- Please also see: Vehicles of the Distant Fringe
It is a very low tech animal-powered vehicle designed for commercial use.
Hull / Suspension
A boxy hull constructed from iron and wood.
- Length: 4.8m (plus the harnessing shaft), Width: 1.8m, Height: 2.9m.
- Overall volume: approximately 25.1m³ (1.8 dTons).
- Unloaded Weight: 1,200 kg.
The overall volume measures the vehicles maximum dimensions and includes road clearance. The enclosed volume of the hull is lower.
The vehicle is fitted with a sprung wheeled suspension system mounted on axles. The Box Cart usually has four wheels.
Power / Transmission
Beasts of Burden (typically a team of 4x heavy horses) capable of moving up to 4,000 kg.
The animals are harnessed to a 5.5m long shaft attached to the front axle.
- Cruise Speed: 5 kph, Top Speed: 15 km (trotting).
- Range: 10 hours at Cruise Speed, 10 minutes per hour at Top Speed.
Crew / Passengers
The body of the vehicle is an enclosed box. The crew facilities consist of an open bench seat located at the front: up to two passengers may be seated adjacent to the driver, though such arrangements are cramped. The vehicle has basic environmental protection (the cargo hold is weatherproof but is not sealed). The cargo hold is accessed by rear doors. The driver's position is fitted with reins to control and steer the animals.
The rear of the vehicle is designed to carry cargo. Multiple tethering points set into the deck and hull allow the load to be secured.
- Cargo Storage: up to 19m³ (1.4 dTons).
- Maximum Load: 2,500 kg (including passengers).
- Maximum Gross Weight: 3,600 kg.
Nutrition for the draft animals.
No information yet available.
|This article is missing content for one or more detailed sections. Additional details are required to complete the article. You can help the Traveller Wiki by expanding it.|
- Traveller Wiki Editorial Team
- Author & Contributor: Lord (Marquis) and Master Scout Emeritus Adie Alegoric Stewart of the IISS
- Author & Contributor: Lord (Marquis) and Master of Sophontology Maksim-Smelchak of the Ministry of Science