Flare Gun, an impromptu weapon.
|Also see||Signal Flare|
- It is also known as a Flare Launcher.
A flare gun is used for long-range signalling and has both civil and military applications.
It consists of a pistol-like launcher which can fire any of several types of signal flares up to 50 meters. In addition to being used for signals, it can fire illuminating flares which can be used for spotting purposes in darkness.
- Signal Flare cartridges are generally loaded individually. Once the cartridge has been fired the flare gun must be reloaded.
A Flare Gun launches (fires) a Signal Flare - this is generally referred to as a cartridge or round.
- Cartridges come in two main varieties: the standard signal flare and the illumination round.
- Signal flares are generally subdivided by color.
- Some signal flares may have an audible component (typically a whistle or a loud bang).
Flare guns can set fire to flammable materials as a secondary effect. When used as a weapon, the Signal Flares that the flare gun fires cause little damage from impact but can cause severe burns.
References & Contributors (Sources)
|This article is missing content for one or more detailed sections. Additional details are required to complete the article. You can help the Traveller Wiki by expanding it.|
- Loren Wiseman. "Ships Locker." Challenge 25 (1986): 43.
- Marc Miller. Imperial Encyclopedia (Game Designers Workshop, 1987), 57.
- Greg Porter. Central Supply Catalog (Imperium Games, 1996), 25,33.
- Marc Miller. T5 Core Rules (Far Future Enterprises, 2013), 636.
- Traveller Wiki Editorial Team
- Author & Contributor: Lord (Marquis) and Master of Sophontology Maksim-Smelchak of the Ministry of Science