- Estimates place the methods used at tech level 25 or greater, a level virtually incomprehensible to any contemporary mind.
Final War Technology
The weapons of the Final War were brutal in their power.
- They were capable of great destruction; entire planets were reduced to asteroid belts by what must have been planet-buster bombs. In other cases, planetoids and small moons were seized, moved and directed toward planets to obliterate what must have been bases, cities and installations.
- Many planets still bear the marks of such attacks.
The weapons of the Final War were also quite sophisticated, capable of fine control.
- Entire worlds appear to have escaped the war unscathed, except for the actual site itself.
- Frequently, it is only when a site is discovered that it becomes evident that it was the target of an attack.
- There is no evidence of misses; no pattern bombing, no random attack. What was attacked was hit; what was hit was destroyed.
- High technology co-ordinated the attacks, which were seemingly impossible to stop even given Ancient technology.
There are various inconsistencies, not always explainable, as with the entire mystery of the Ancients. They could just be taken as evidence of the great diversity in technologies and abilities involved in the way the Final War was waged.
Final War Factions
It is unknown exactly how many factions there are. Some Droyne myths have become known and they hint at carious factions. Two of the factions are commonly called by researchers:
It is not known why terms of kinship were used to name the factions although they have had had a kinship relationship. The mythical figure Yaskoydray may have led the Yaskoydrin and another figure called Draysaskay may have led the Draysaskin. Each side contained hundreds, perhaps thousands of separate factions, which wielded vary different weapons, shields, and technologies. Droyne often remain remarkably enigmatic or tight-lipped when these subjects are brought up by outsiders. Many sophontologists believe that a society-wide taboo exists against discussing the subject.
Over a period of about 2,000 years, they fought with such ferocity that hardly any traces of their existence now remain.
- Archeologists today work under a severe handicap in attempting to piece together those elements which survived to arrive at any coherent picture of the Ancients, their way of life, or their works.
Final War Timeframe Estimates
No information yet available.
References & Contributors (Sources)
|This article is missing content for one or more detailed sections. Additional details are required to complete the article. You can help the Traveller Wiki by expanding it.|